Notifications
Clear all

Vox DA15 Settings

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@dal68)
Topic starter  

Hi all. New to forum, but not Guitarnoise. I have a Vox DA15 and was wondering if anyone has any settings for certain sounds i.e. SRV type blues and/or other styles. Thank you.

(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Hi and Welcome to Guitarnoise.

I haven't had a chance to test one of those amps. However I did do some research on them when I read your question. I know that if I had alittle time to play around with it I could possibly eminate the tone your looking to achieve. Its had to get the odd harmonics you get from the output tubes of an all tube amp being run at its saturation point. Maybe I could give you a starting point to work from.

Lets start out using the second channel being that alot of amps give you more control and effects with that channel. I would set the tone stack (bass,mid's,treble) at their middel position. Set the pre-amp gain to around 3/4 the way up. Set the channels volume to somewhere between 0 and 2 1/2. With your guitar's volume and tone controls turned all the way up. At these settings you shouldn't be far off from a pretty good distorted rock guitar sound.

You may have to turn the channels volume down some which will effect the sustain. If its to loud turn it down anyway, then back the pre-amp gain down some to get the tone. With the tone stacks all at their mid position you may want to experiment with them making ever so small adjustments, listening closely the sound. Maybe try setting the bass to 10 o'clock, mids around 2 o'clock, and the treble to 10 o'clock. this will give you boost mid tone.another one to try would be a scooped mid sound, which would be setting the bass and treble to the 2 o'clock positions and the mids to 10 o'clock.

As for effects don't get to carried away at first. Add some reverb to give some depth. If you tremolo effects allow for a deep sweep and the rate real slow. add some of that. I would try to work in some delay maybe 30 to 60 milli seconds with no feedback. If you can control the wet and dry signals you could cut the dry signal and just let the wet signal be heard.

From here you could make small adjustments/tweak the controls and see if it gives you the sound your wanting.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@dal68)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the reply. I just started learning to play (again) not too long ago (Xmas). (I'm 38 and have tried to learn in the past but couldn't stay focused. A little bit older now and enjoy playing/practicing much more).

The Vox web page had about 8 examples of different models for this amp but didn't provide the settings so I figured I would inquire within.

Thanks for your "starting point" Joe. We'll see how it sounds and go from there. Thanks again!!

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Your welcome.

I just saw an image of the face plate. I see you have Gain, Volume and Master volume. If you expand on what I wrote before to include the use of that Master volume control you'll be able to really dial-in some tone with it. Adjust the gain and volume to create sustain and overdrive then begin turning up the master to achieve the voicing. You will be able to get alot of different sounds from that amp. Have fun experimenting.

Joe

ReplyQuote