Vox Tonelab

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@extnguisher)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Has anyone got one of these?
I'm thinking about buying one. Don't have a chance to try one now.
If you have it, how is it? Is it really as good as vox claims it to be? Does it model all the amplifiers as perfectly as vox says it does? Is it worth the money?

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Among the current population of modelers (Pod XT, Vamp 2 ...) the Vox Tonelab series is the one that consistently gets the best -- well, actually rave reviews. It has also garnered a number of Editor's Choice awards across the audio industry. So, yeah it seems to be all it is claimed. I don't think you can go wrong with it.

-G

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Has anyone got one of these?
I'm thinking about buying one. Don't have a chance to try one now.
If you have it, how is it? Is it really as good as vox claims it to be? Does it model all the amplifiers as perfectly as vox says it does? Is it worth the money?

I've got the Vox Tonelab SE that I use both live and for recording, and I just love it to death. If you want to hear some examples of what it can sound like, check outthis thread and this thread in the "Hear Here" section.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

Yeah. Absolutely the sweetest rig I've heard yet. The tones are imaculate. Pod's and v-amps don't compare. I don't own one unfortunately.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@jimscafe)
Estimable Member

I am also thinking of getting one, but I heard that it is not really for beginners

How easy is it to get the sounds you like - I would be looking for sounds like Layla (Eric) - not the unplugged version, by Derek and the Dominos?

I went into a shop to buy a pedal or two for the above sound and they recommended the Vox. When I went back to try it they had sold it...

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

Well it's a lot of money to fork out if your just starting. If you aren't sure that you're going to make music a career, spending $500+ on an effects unit isn't necessarily a wise purchase. On the other hand if you can afford to blow the money, go for it. It's a nice sounding rig.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

I am also thinking of getting one, but I heard that it is not really for beginners

How easy is it to get the sounds you like - I would be looking for sounds like Layla (Eric) - not the unplugged version, by Derek and the Dominos?

Remember - I've got the Tonelab SE. The regular Tonelab has the foot controller sold separately

It's not rocket science to get the sounds, and you've got enough storage to store just about anything you want. It works like this:

Each of the 24 banks will store 4 "rigs" of amp model & effects, each "rig" has an A/B option ( like for clean/OD version of the same setup ). Each "rig" can also be switched into a control mode where you can turn individual effects on and off on the fly.

To select what you want in each "rig", you turn the knobs until you get what you want, then store the settings.

The factory presets are actually useful, but for live work, I've set up a bank of effects with modeling off for each of my 3 amps I might use (same effects, but EQ'd differently for each amp).

If you think you may be doing live work later, and can afford the SE, I'd get it. It's versatile enough and flexible enough that you'll not really need to buy another effects pedal for years, and as you grow as a guitarist, you'll grow into really using the capabilities of the pedal

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote