Notifications
Clear all

What are some Essential Effects?

9 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@zomex)
Topic starter  

I'm trying to get some effects for solo sections. What are common ones that most player use? ...wah, etc.

(@steve-0)
Noble Member

Stevie Ray Vaughan usaully used none except for the tube screamer usaully. Basically it all depends on the style of music really and your personal taste. Some bands use alot of multi-fx pedals that i'm not a fan of; personally i just use a crybaby wah, overdrive pedal and a chorus (this includes using the reverb built into the amp and using a footswitch to switch between rhythm and lead channels ). Phase and Flanger effects are also pretty popular and worth checking out, i just prefer to keep my effects to a minimum.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@elpelotero)
Estimable Member

delay, phaser, wah, flange, chorus, reverb.......maybe tube screamer (distortion)....umm...octave pedals (kinda useless IMO), fuzz pedals...go to the boss website and check out wat they have

ReplyQuote
(@aversionrob)

if you are after a few good pedals to really lift your sound, try a look at some of the marshall range. I have used the bluesbreaker, jachhammer, vibratrem and chorus pedals and the ones i own really give an authentic warm sound... the bluesbreaker is very gary moore and gives a huge lift to solos.

just try a few overdrives and some modulations... many jump straight to boss... i have a few boss pedals, the flangers and phasers are good, but the overdrive and distortion pedlas are nothing special... oh, and beware the big muff... find that a real hard one to get to grips with... fine if you can crank up a big valve amp, but sounds pooey on a smaller amp.

just dont go over the top, the best sounds ever come from an overdriven valve amp with little other effects.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Stevie Ray Vaughan usaully used none except for the tube screamer usaully

As I read this, I'm listening to SRV in Montreux making very heavy use of a Wah pedal. :) :) :)

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@red_riviera)

A good delay can do a lot of varied things. Something like the Line 6 Echo Park can do everything from slapback echo, modulated repeats, chorus (without delay), double the sound of your guitar, stereo... and sound like a spaceship landing if you twist the time /feedback knobs while playing.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Chorus, reverb, phaser, flanger, wah, delay, compressor and booster are the more common effects. Humanizer, ring modulators, pitch shifters, harmonizers and others can be very interesting as well. Really depends on your own preferences.

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

Personally, I play straight into a tube amp, and just use the volume knobs on the guitar for solos/more distortion, but I guess it depends on your musical tastes and personal preferences.

ReplyQuote
(@racer-y)
Estimable Member

I used to like alot of effects... Got a 60's Fuzz tone laying around some where...I dunno i figure in this day and age some sort of digital sound processor type thingee is out there ...
I like to use a Chorus and the saturation gain on my amp personally.
Mine is an old MXR with just two knobs and eats batteries...sounds great though. I don't know about having too many effects at once though

Alot of people seem to live with distorion on, even when they aren't near a guitar... I always thought that boxed distortion sounded cool, but was
just sooo limiting but I guess that depends on the amp it's plugged into and the settings for the pedal...
Pedals... PEDALS!!!
I race online... too much. uh
what if we could re wire a Wah pedal that was interactive with a ff wheel?
like have a guitarist playing... a good tune to race to. and have the guy
driving activating the wah effect by accelerating and braking, maybe
changing octaves while changing gears, and flanging while steering?
There are buttons on this wheel that could be used to change effects.
If you could find the right song or make one up to fit the rythm of the
track...

sorry to go off topic, but I'm building my own pedals (racing)
and just had a wild thought... :)

I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but when
you're a 22lb sledge, do you really have to be?

ReplyQuote