What's that tone: "It's Only Love"

9 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@doug_c)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

:?:
I've done some Googling for this, but figured it would be quicker to just see if someone here has an idea on it. I'm just idly curious what effect(s) might have been used on that distinctive intro (outro, too, IIRC) to the Beatles' "It's Only Love."

Thanks for any info.

--
Doug C.

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Doug

I think that was probably Tremelo with the speed and depth turned up for a very "wobbly" sound.

That is a beautiful song, always been one of my Beatles favorites.

You can also get a similar effect with a Chorus pedal if you turn the speed up.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@doug_c)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hi, Wes--

I think that was probably Tremelo with the speed and depth turned up for a very "wobbly" sound.
Sounds good. (Pardon the pun.)
I was fiddling around with some of my Danelectro mini-pedals last night, notably the trem and vibrato. ("Tuna Melt" and "Chicken Salad.") Had 'em both cranked right up on depth/intensity and speed. I thought it was close, but . . .
That is a beautiful song, always been one of my Beatles favorites.
Mine, too. From what I've read, though, for some reason it was one that Lennon didn't like much.
You can also get a similar effect with a Chorus pedal if you turn the speed up.
Hmm. Well, I have a Danelectro "Cool Cat" as well as digital chorus in my Marshall MG30DFX, so I'll noodle around some with those, too.

Thanks for the reply.

--
Doug

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Couple thoughts.

There wasn't as many effects in that time frame as there is now. As mentioned Tremolo, also there was Leslie Speakers and Vox amps which had a Tone X feature. Tone-X which is basically operates like a parametric shelving filter/EQ circuit, which was able to be set for different frequency's and was sweepable. Let's include a few studio tricks with the use of reel to reel tape recorders.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@doug_c)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hi, Joe--
Couple thoughts.
There wasn't as many effects in that time frame as there is now. As mentioned Tremolo, also there was Leslie Speakers and Vox amps which had a Tone X feature. Tone-X which is basically operates like a parametric shelving filter/EQ circuit, which was able to be set for different frequency's and was sweepable. Let's include a few studio tricks with the use of reel to reel tape recorders.

Now that is way too techo for me. :lol:
But you're right; that was when "flanging" meant somebody sticking their thumb on the flange of a tape reel.
I've been fiddling around with various combinations. One that sounded good yesterday was the Cool Cat Chorus into the Uni-Vibe. Still trying to decide which is more true to the original Beatles sound, having the Uni-Vibe on chorus or vibe. Either way, it's an interesting tone.
I'll keep playing around with it. Hey, I don't play the guitar for money, so I must be doing it for the fun. 8)

Thanks for the input, Joe.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Here's some interesting things about that song. I called a friend of mine he owns a radio station and knows some pretty interesting things when it comes to songs. He says they had problems with that song and some double tracking tricks to hide some errors, they were using between the stereo version and the mono version. The glitches are notice able on certain words. He made a comment something about the sound of the lead guitar and a wah-wah being fluddered from the reel to reel. I'd have to hear the song to see.

Don't take this as craved in stone. Steve lights up like a stick of dynamite when you ask him something like that and its hard to keep up with him. He gets so excited when you ask him something which is his cup of tea, meaning expertise and knowledge. He does know the what for and how about just about every song out there. Then all he kept saying was when you going to do another blues power hour for me.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Here's an article I found that said this effect was simply a Wah pedal.

http://www.iamthebeatles.com/article1206.html

That may be true. If you move a wah pedal up and down very quickly you can get this effect.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@doug_c)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Here's some interesting things about that song. I called a friend of mine he owns a radio station and knows some pretty interesting things when it comes to songs. He says they had problems with that song and some double tracking tricks to hide some errors, they were using between the stereo version and the mono version. The glitches are notice able on certain words. He made a comment something about the sound of the lead guitar and a wah-wah being fluddered from the reel to reel. I'd have to hear the song to see.
Okay; interesting phraseology there, Joe. I like that even better than "Y'see what I'm saying?" ("Only when you talk in caption balloons." :lol: )
Don't take this as craved in stone. Steve lights up like a stick of dynamite when you ask him something like that and its hard to keep up with him. He gets so excited when you ask him something which is his cup of tea, meaning expertise and knowledge. He does know the what for and how about just about every song out there. Then all he kept saying was when you going to do another blues power hour for me.
Wow, spun him right up, didn't you?
I like his explanation (?) better than what I first found on the Web, which was something about an "effect pedal guitar" or some such.
Wind him up again, and then reward him with another Blues Power Hour. 8)
Thanks for another possibility for experimentation.

ReplyQuote
(@doug_c)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Here's an article I found that said this effect was simply a Wah pedal.
http://www.iamthebeatles.com/article1206.html
That may be true. If you move a wah pedal up and down very quickly you can get this effect.
And yet another making reference to a "Leslie" effect: http://www.audiomidi.com/aboutus/reviews/zonar_akaivst.cfm

It could be either effect or (I think) a combination of both. I'm going to have to do some studies and documentation to get at "the truth." Should be a fun way to kill an evening, experimenting with wahed 'Vibe and 'Vibed wah. :D

"Put de wah in de Uni-Vibe and call me in the morning." 8)

ReplyQuote