Clear all

Which amp?

8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@petrix)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Ok, I don't have the money now, but in a few months I should have the a fair amount to spend on an amp.

I will probably spend about £600-800, what are my options?

I want an amp with an outstanding clean channel, I'm not bothered about a disto channel, so I gues I probably want a Fender...

Which one should I get, and any other suggestions for different  manufacturers (I really don't like marshalls, I've played a few, and I hate their sound!)

"I had these dreams that I would learn to play guitar, maybe cross the country, become a rock star"

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

In my opinion, you just can't get a better clean sound and reverb than Fender.

If you can afford a tube amp, get one.

I recommend the Blues Junior a lot. It's all tube, it is a loud 15W that can be used at gigs, it gets great reviews, and is very inexpensive.

The Hot Rod Deluxe (what I own) is a great amp. Great clean tone, and the Drive channels are great for Blues or Classic Rock. It is very loud though, and would be hard to use at home. It is 40W all tube.

I would start going to the music store now, and try out as many amps as possible. Try them with different settings on the amp and your guitar. Take your time and try to find the best sound YOU like. It really doesn't matter which amp it is if you like it.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I agree with the going and trying as many amps out as you can before you purchase one. that way you can make a decision and worth while investment on an amp you'll really love to spend many hours of enjoyable playing.

And last but not least think all tube.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Does the all tube mantra hold true if you are using effects like Pods and V-amps andthe like?
    I know these things are really for going direct to the mixer, but if you find a sound you like and you want to play it through an amp you want a really clean reproduction.  In this case are you better off with solid state?  or can a clean Fender tube amp be set to avoid unpleasant coloration of the sound?

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

A little off the subject, but IMHO effects sound better through a tube amp. Yes, if I was using an effects processor, I would just set my tube amp to an all clean sound.

Tube amps are warm and smooth. It is hard to describe, but they just sound REAL. They have a presence that solid-state can't imitate. Solid-state amps sound artificial, that's the only way I can describe it.

On clean settings, a tube amp sparkles, on overdrive, they crunch, on distortion, they sing.

Look at it this way, are there any pros who use solid-state? I'm sure there are, but not many.

I'm like Joe (Forrok_Star), once you go tube, you're never going back.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@petrix)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

What about mixtures between tube and solid state?

I think peavey make them? Transtube?

(I'm really looking for something thats quite powerful and very robust, I intend to go gigging with it)

"I had these dreams that I would learn to play guitar, maybe cross the country, become a rock star"

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

There's some articles on this page I gave a few days ago about hybrids.

http://www.amptone.com/

Remember, those are just their opinions. And my opinion is just mine. I would go all tube. But that's me. Just start trying amps now until you find one YOU really like.

ReplyQuote
(@petrix)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I think I'm probably going to go for a Fender HotRod, I don't know which one though.

Erm, does anyone know anything about the Fender Stage 100, it seems quite reasonable, solid state though, any info? thanks.

ReplyQuote