Clear all

Wireless try-out?

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@maddmodder)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey everyone. I'm going up to Guitar Center with some friends tomorrow and I'm considering getting a new wireless system. The system I'm looking at is the Nady 1001 MK2. I've read some good and some bad reviews. I know I can get much better than this but at the moment I'm only looking at spending around as much as this one costs ($70). I was wondering if the folks at GC would let me try the system out so I could form my own opinion about it. Do you think they would have a problem with that or would they be glad to help me out? This is my first first venture into wireless so I'm not too sure if they'd let me do this. Thanks in advance for helping me out! :D

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Nady invented the wireless guitar system, so they know what they are doing. This unit is probably good if you take reasonable care of it. My former supervisor at work plays in a band and uses a very old Nady, over 10 years old and it works great for him.

I would suggest you buy the little pouch that attaches to your guitar strap and holds the transmitter. This is where most folks have problems, the transmitter falls and the cord fails. I have the little pouch for mine, works great.

Neotech Pouch

I bought the medium size and it works perfect.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@maddmodder)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the quick reply Wes.I was actually planning on getting one of the Neotech pouches too. That's the main gripe I read about. People were saying that the transmitter felt cheap so I figured I'd just get the pouch to keep it safe. I would also imagine placement of the receiver is a key factor in getting the most out of the system.

ReplyQuote
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member

Placement of the reciever is indeed important. They recommend something like 3' from the ground, wall, floor and electrical devices for best performance. And, from my limited experience, that's about right. I recently played an outside party, and had to tweak the placement a bit, but then it worked great.

I would fully expect GC to let you try it out. When I was talking to the guys at my local store, they had all tested each of the units out themselves, so it shouldn't be an issue for you to try one out. After all, if you took it home and didn't like it, you would just return it anyway, right?

I love being wireless and being able to walk out front and hear exactly how we sound - especially since I also run our sound...it helps. It's also fun to go out and interact with the audience. I think they get a kick out of it too.

Good luck and have fun!

Jim

"There won't be any money. But when you die, on your death bed, you will receive total conciousness. So, I got that going for me. Which is nice." - Bill Murray, Caddyshack ~~ Michigan Music Dojo - http://michiganmusicdojo.com ~~

ReplyQuote
(@maddmodder)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Ok, so I went up to GC and they didn't have the unit I was looking at but they the unit next unit up (Nady DKW 8U/GT). It was only $10 extra plus I got a free wireless mic set so I figured I'd give it a shot. I asked the guy if I could try it and there were no problems. We hooked it up to a nice PRS and I just started walking all over the store. I noticed it drop out a little bit but it was no big deal since the receiver was on the floor and not to mention all of the possible interference in that place. So I bought it, took it home, and tried it out there. It was still dropping out for less than a second randomly so I figured I'd throw in a better battery. So far I've noticed it has only dropped out on me once or twice now. I've had it upstairs and all around the kitchen and it sounded pretty good. I'll have to try it out in a stage environment sometime soon to see if it would be gig worthy. Other than that, so far so good!

ReplyQuote