7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@chordboy)
Topic starter  

Hi I am new here!

Ok I have a wah and O/D pedal, I am looking at the 505 mk 2 for 2 reasons

1) To use as a tuner.

2)To use very occasionally for the reverb, flanger etc type effects.

I wouldnt use the presets......... so basically I may want to easily access just 1 effect at a time.

Is the pedal suitable for use in this way, I dont gig just jam with a few others, but needs to be esasy to use.

Thanks

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

A 505II can be had on ebay for about $20,-, barely more expensive then a normal tuner. The effects aren't superb and can't be tweaked a lot, but they are sufficient for basic use and the unit is very easy to use. So if you want some basic effects and a tuner the thing is well worth it's price.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Hi and Welcome.

Yes, a Zoom pedal would make a great addition to your pedal collection. You'll find many sites with presets folks have come up with for the Zoom pedals. Using two amps and running it stereo will open up a whole different world.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@shift)
Estimable Member

Chordboy

Never tried the zoom 505.

Most multi effect pedals are meant to work in their entiredy. By that I mean, they get difficult to use, if you just want to pick them apart and use a phaser or some other effect by itself, and use your amp's tone and stompboxes.

They eat some tone, when you are just try to use the effects in them, without using thier amp modeling. Most offer you a direct channel, in the amp modelling. But it isn't true bypass, it is another amp model that is meant to be clear.

Multi effect pedals work well, when you are using everything they have to offer. Using the amp modelling ect.. They get difficult to work with, when you are trying to use just a chorus effect or something like that with them.

Think you may be better off, just using stompboxes, if you want to pick apart a multi effect pedal.

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member

Well iv tried the 606 and was totally unimpressed. Too many of the presets sound the same and effects are neither particularly good quality or tweakable...

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Simon, you have to understand what it's made for. The 505 retails for about $40 and is aimed at people who want some reverb, but don't need 7 different paramaters to influence the stereo image of the reverb. You can't tweak much, but that means you don't have to use a 400 page manual to use it. It is basic, simple and cheap, exactly what many people want. Is it the 'best' unit? Not really. But why spend more if this unit does all you're looking for?

ReplyQuote
(@catcha)
Trusted Member

Go for the Zoom 505 , although todays multi effects and moddlers may be " difficult" to use for some players , the Zoom 505 is not really a moddler as such and is great for practice or bedroom use , even some recording.
The bypassed sound is hardly changed.
At £30.00 second hand you cannot go wrong , buy one try it if you dont like it sell it again on ebay and you will only loose about a £1.00 listing fee etc.

It is not a "top class" unit but that also shows in its price .
It really couldnt be easier to select the effects and to be truthfull anyone that cannot press one button to select the effect on the display and then another to change the intesity whould probably be safer steering clear of all electrical equipment , toasters included unless they do themselves some serious damage using the on off buttons :P
Zoom sounds were good enough for Brian May !!

I kept my Zoom 505 although I have much line 6 stuff now as it serves as a great take anywhere unit for family jam sessions on holiday etc together with my mini marshall amp , both could fit in your handbag :shock:

Dont give a shite about punctuation or spelling , I have to do that all day at work.
Free times for rocking !!

ReplyQuote