Clear all

Another aspiring guitarist.

17 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@simplysimplified)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

What will you do with all of us new beginners?

Anyway, I'm new to both Guitarnoise AND the guitar.

I'm hoping to learn to play guitar, and I think I'll get through reading the music pretty fast. I've already taked 2 years of piano but I've been around music all my life. I started reading music long before I took actuall lessons.

I'm interested in more classic rock, if you will. Possibly my favorite band would be Styx. :]

I just saw them in concert too~
but I digress.

SO, there are so many resources here, where on earth do I start?

Katelyn

Posted : 24/09/2006 5:43 pm
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to the musical madhouse. There's plenty to help you on GN, you just have to find something that you feel comfortable with.
Go to Beginner's section and have a look at "Horse With No Name" (if it gets much older it'll be "Horse with no teeth") - a song with only 2 chords. Have a look at some of the other songs, as well, they may be more your style.

Whatever you do, don't get in a panic about not having learnt a whole song by the end of your first week. Take all the time you need, there's no rush (unless you're 98 and have a heart condition, that is :lol: ).

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 24/09/2006 6:05 pm
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Welcome!

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

Posted : 24/09/2006 6:13 pm
(@simplysimplified)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Grey: Thanks, I've taken a look at it, and it's going pretty good.
(And I can proudly proclaim that no, I'm not 98. In fact, I'm not even 20 :lol: )

And thanks for the welcome guys :D

Katelyn

Posted : 24/09/2006 6:17 pm
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

Welcome to GN. Look forward to seeing you around the forums.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

Posted : 24/09/2006 6:30 pm
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

(And I can proudly proclaim that no, I'm not 98. In fact, I'm not even 20 :lol: )
Ha! One day, you'll sit there and think "That Greybeard was right all along - I am 98! I've been deluding myself all these years" :lol: :lol:

Greybeard's Pages

Posted : 24/09/2006 6:46 pm
(@simplysimplified)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Grey: My eyes have been opened to the truth. x]

Thanks for the welcome chuck~

Katelyn

Posted : 24/09/2006 7:15 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to GN! 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 24/09/2006 10:39 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I should just point out at this juncture that greybeard is in fact 99 (which means he's got flaky with age) and has been deluding not only himself but the rest of this forum since 1937.....

:D :D :D

Vic (age 49 and 1/2)

Oh and welcome to Guitarnoise!

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 25/09/2006 1:15 am
(@simplysimplified)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thanks Dan. :D

That's quite a long time to keep up such an act, now I'm truly impressed. :lol:

And on another note, I broke my high e string and I plan on replacing all of the strings anyway (They're about 1 and a half years old now).

Do any of you have any suggestions on what kind might be best for me?

Untill then I'm practicing on my dad's acoustic guitar and it's seriously killing my fingers. They're not especially tough yet. D:

I've heard that nickle is good, but being the complete noob that I am, I'm not quite sure exactly what that means. My dad mentioned something about nickle covering?

Anyway, yeah. Any suggestions?

Katelyn

Posted : 25/09/2006 1:26 am
 Glee
(@glee)
Estimable Member

Welcome

Tim

Posted : 25/09/2006 2:19 am
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

A year and a half is a long time for a set of strings. Most people round here will advocate changing them much more regularly. I personally try to change mine around every six weeks or so. But different people will use different intervals.

I'm assuming that you are playing electric. If that is the case I would recommend Ernie Ball Super Slinkys. They are nickel wound and are particulalrly kind to fingers that have not yet developed callouses (IMO). I love these strings particularly when they are new.

Of course others will disagree. Like most things the choice of string is very subjective. I would suggest you try out a variety of different brands/gauges and find the one that suits you best. I think I tried a couple of brands before I settled on Super Slinkys. I figure if they are good enough for Angus Young they're good enough for me. :lol:

HTH

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

Posted : 25/09/2006 6:05 am
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

................greybeard is in fact 99 (which means he's got flaky with age)

Hey, I'm an ice cream! :lol: :lol:

Greybeard's Pages

Posted : 25/09/2006 5:08 pm
(@rahul)
Famed Member

I thought Greybeard was born in 1346...

Attention GN Users : If you find a spirit haunting your playing or your guitars for weeks, you now know what to look for.

Only those exorcisms will work which are specially designed for men with grey beards.

Posted : 25/09/2006 5:37 pm
(@simplysimplified)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

The only reason those old strings were there is because it wasn't used for the past 1 and a half years. >.<;;

Anyway, I'll try out the super slinky ones. :]

I'm replacing all of the strings too. :D I just need my parents to get off thier rear ends and take me there... the joys of not being able to drive...

Katelyn

Posted : 25/09/2006 10:41 pm
Page 1 / 2