Notifications
Clear all

Another Newbie

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@localhost)
Topic starter

Hello everybody. I've been lurking here for a couple of weeks. So let me register and introduce myself.

My name is Dennis and I'm 29. Back in high school, over 10 years ago, I played bass for about 3 years with friends. I never had a good ear for music nor was I very creative so I relied on learning music theory to make up for it. I had an old Tara acoustic a friend gave me I fiddled with but pretty much used it for only playing a few riffs and power chord songs from the day, i.e. Enter Sandman, Nirvana tunes, etc. Chords are not an easy thing for a bass player to get used to.

Well I still have a love for music and always enjoy any acoustic arrangement of my favorite songs so I have decided to make a dedicated effort to get back into guitar and learn to be decent. Like some here, I doubt I will ever be in a band again or play live for anybody except my wife and kid.

I've been back into playing for 2 weeks now with a Fender starter acoustic combo and learning my chords over again. I've forgotten a lot of my theory so I gotta pick that back up and hopefully train this ear of mine a little better. I am pretty much a rock and roll guy and a huge Pearl Jam fan (the only band from my youth that's still around and haven't changed that much). I also enjoy bands like Beck and Cracker which are also big acoustic bands and the reason I decided to start with an acoustic again. Classical guitar has also peaked my interest but just on a casual basis. Nothing "proper".

I would like to thank Dave for the Easy Song Lessons featured here because I was getting burned out with "When the Saints Come Marching In" and all the other really lame songs the books make you play.

Posted : 14/06/2006 9:45 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Welcome to GuitarNoise, Dennis! We look forward to seeing you around the forums! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 14/06/2006 11:20 pm
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

Welcome Dennis, Enjoy your stay!

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

Posted : 15/06/2006 10:31 am
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN Dennis.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 15/06/2006 10:33 am
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Welcome - from one guitar "dad" to another.

Rock on.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

Posted : 15/06/2006 1:08 pm