Notifications
Clear all

another 'no longer lurking' but with a problem

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@furoner)
Topic starter

I have been an admirer of the site in general and David Hodge in particular for over a year and have been lurking quietly reading and understanding and assimilating the theory ... the practical of course is more difficult, isn't it? Fingers don't do what they're supposed to do at the chosen moment! I have a slight problem in that a long time ago i chopped off my index left finger - the surgeon sewed it back on but I get very nasty stabbing, burning pains if I practice too long; I'm happy to give up on barre chords. Altho' a novice with a long way to go (a young 62 !) I'm needing a direction to follow - I don't need to sing Buddy Holly at the BBQ and I'll never threaten Mark Knopfler.......but I just lurv the noise my Spanish classical guitar makes, even playing a toon on just one string. But while I'm here, has anyone a suggestion? I feel I'd like to go for slow Bluesie noises so if the digit is playing up I can either park it off to one side or find an easier lick. I am a realist, I wish I'd stuck at the piano when my Mum was paying for the lessons but I didn't and that's it! Whether my musick now? Slow tempo, moody and smoooth, I think - so who's footsteps to follow? Who to view on You Tube? Answers, advice, aid, support, giftaid always welcome !
Well done Guitar Noise - I think it's great.
Rgds Colin (British, resident Spain)

Posted : 06/11/2009 6:13 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Welcome to Guitar Noise, Colin! We look forward to seeing you around the forums!! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 06/11/2009 7:32 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Welcome aboard! 8)

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 06/11/2009 9:48 pm
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

Welcome to GN, Colin! In regards to your situation, I am sure you are not alone. Do some searching online - guitarist with two fingers, or something along those lines. For example, Django Reinhardt comes to mind as a guitarist who had to overcome a severe injury & adapt his playing to suit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Django_Reinhardt

Let us know how things go with you.

Posted : 07/11/2009 1:02 am