Clear all

Another novice on a Jonathan Livingston

7 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@michaelee)
Topic starter

Hi folks,

So my wife decided she wanted to learn to play the piano about 3 months ago, and we stopped by Guitar Center to pick up a Yamaha portable grand for her. To her credit, she has practiced religiously on it since, and continues to amaze me with her progress.

While at the store -- surrounded by gorgeous instruments -- I couldn't help but recall the musical aspirations that very, very briefly inspired me to pick up and play my sister's old guitar sometime during junior high. However, in part because of the lack of instruction, and perhaps also because I'd always been told I had a god-awful singing voice, it didn't last.

Long story short, the urge came over me again, I did some research, and I ended up with a Seagull S6 Original steel-string guitar. It is the new second love of my life -- after aforementioned wife.

I've been practicing at least 2 -- and frequently more than 4 -- hours daily for about a month and a half now, and while I occasionally regret not having started earlier, I am grateful beyond measure for discovering music at the ripe old age of 30. I don't believe I would have appreciated the intricacies of music theory, or have had the necessary patience or perseverance earlier in life. I can't wait for a few years to pass so as to be able to sit down to a session and play some "real" music, but I'm also enjoying the journey immensely!

I'd like, eventually, to start working on the Spanish or Flamenco guitar styles (any advise on this?), but am content right now to focus on smooth chord changes, strumming, and finger picking with songs that remind me of the good ol' days.

GuitarNoise.com has been a wonderful resource -- I'm self taught, so far -- and while I can't add to the tip jar as often or as much as I'd like to, hopefully I'll be able to contribute (usefully) to the forums soon!

Thanks!

Michael

... I'd rather be strumming my Seagull S6 steel-stringed beauty

Posted : 10/06/2009 1:11 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to GN! 8)

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 10/06/2009 10:20 am
(@daven)
Estimable Member

30! Ya, young pup!
Bought my first guitar 4 months ago at 53.
Welcome to GN! :)

Posted : 10/06/2009 12:29 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Welcome to Guitar Noise!! We look forward to seeing you around the forums! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 10/06/2009 1:58 pm
(@baldgit)
Trusted Member

welcome my friend...playing the guitar has been a wonderful way to pass tine throughtout my life....very relaxing......keep practicing...and don't let people tell you you can't sing...... you can become better at that with practice as well.....best of luck....Dan

MY Soundclick Page http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=908015&content=music

Posted : 16/06/2009 8:08 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Welcome!

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 27/06/2009 6:34 am
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN!

#4491....