Clear all

Bonjour all

10 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@isabelle)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Hi everyone. My name's Isabelle, I crossed the Channel from France to live in the UK in 2001. I work full time, I'm married and I have a little boy - my greatest fan :twisted:

I had guitar lessons for about a year when I was err... 11? That was pretty useless. This old teacher was drunk 100% of the time and he was running about three or four music lessons at once, so you had a girl in a corner working on a piano piece, another one playing something else on the violin and my friend and me trying desperately to get a few strings to sound right. We never learned any chords. That put me off the guitar for a good few years.

I am now 28, and about two months ago I bought myself one of those cheap electric guitar packages and decided to start again from scratch. It's not going too bad, I know my G from my C, D, Em, Am, Dm, E, A and F. My chord changes are getting better, and I can play the unavoidable House of the Rising Sun almost to perfection ;)

I have worked on some other songs - Everybody Hurts, Jesus Don't Want Me for a Sunbeam, Horse with no Name etc. They don't sound too bad, but I find playing them a bit boring...

What I find frustrating though is when I get some 'easy chord songs' off the Internet, and I find myself completely unable to play them because there's no indication on the rhythm or how the strings should be picked. Things like Oh Me (the Nirvana version) - look at it. E - D - C - E... I can do that!

Or can I...

Sounds nothing like it to me.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hi. I've learned a lot more in a couple of months by myself - with thanks to this and other websites! - than I did in one whole year with a music teacher.

Thanks for this site, and don't you worry you can count on me to post my newbie questions, frustrations etc. in the near future :mrgreen:

Posted : 16/09/2007 1:24 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Hi Isabelle, welcome to GN! :D

Keep practicing & bring on those questions! Alot of good people to help you out here! 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 16/09/2007 1:43 pm
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

Welcome to GN, Isabelle from a fellow UK forumite.

Finding a good guitar teacher can be a very hit and miss affair. Sorry to hear about your last experience. Don't let it put you off getting lessons though because there are some very good teachers out there (one or two even pop in here from time to time :wink: ) it's just a case of searching them out.

Some people are able to teach themselves very well, but many, myself included, need a bit of hands on guidance and that's where a good teacher can come in. It sounds like you have some of the basics under your belt - a few lessons with a decent teacher could be the springboard you need to get you on the right track.

Finding GN is a step in the right direction and I hope you stick around and look forward to seeing you round the forums.

Don't worry too much about venting your frustrations. We all go through that experience and the guys and gals here are extremely good at getting you through it - so feel free to vent.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

Posted : 16/09/2007 5:39 pm
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Welcome aboard, Isabelle!
:)

Don

Posted : 16/09/2007 5:44 pm
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Welcome :D You'll find a wealth of information and folks who Like to help others learn guitar :D

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 16/09/2007 10:06 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Bonjour Isabelle!

Bienvenue à GN! :D

Posted : 16/09/2007 11:10 pm
(@jimjam66)
Trusted Member

Welcome Isabelle! I hope you make some more progress this time round.

David

Posted : 17/09/2007 1:03 am
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Howdy Isabelle!

Welcome to GN. I am the preisdent of the FGFAOTW club. (Frustrated Guitarist From All Over The World) :wink:
Grab a doughnut, some coffee and ask some questions.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Posted : 17/09/2007 8:37 pm
(@isabelle)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Howdy Isabelle!

Welcome to GN. I am the preisdent of the FGFAOTW club. (Frustrated Guitarist From All Over The World) :wink:
Grab a doughnut, some coffee and ask some questions.

Where do I join? :mrgreen:

Thanks everyone.

Posted : 18/09/2007 2:37 pm
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN!

#4491....

Posted : 13/11/2007 2:41 pm