Clear all

Greetings - working on "Into the Mystic"

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@gwandsh)
Topic starter

Hi all
Perpetual intermediate acoustic player here. I am not sure what area is best to post this in, perhaps you could advise me?

I've been working on the Glen Hansard version of Van's "Into the mystic" in E. I have it down pretty well, except there is a little 3-step climbing riff that bridges from the verse to the chorus. It ends on the barred G#m.

I have been using C#m to D#m to G#m, but it sounds a bit cheesy.

Can anyone suggest the correct chords or tab to fill in this piece of the puzzle?
Tnx

Posted : 23/07/2010 7:34 pm
(@davidhodge)

Hi and welcome to Guitar Noise

I'm not familiar with the arrangement you mention, but in the original recording (Van Morrison's) that section is done with pairs of notes and not whole chords. The pairs imply the harmony and usually it feels like the first chord is the same as the third. If you're doing it in E, the note pairs would be:

B & G# / C# & A# / D# and B

You could do what you're doing (C#m, D#m and G#m) but it might sound nicer using sevenths for the first two chords (C#m7 and D#m7), which would give you some of the notes you're missing when comparing it to the original. Or you could also start with the G#m and then use either D#m7 or (possibly better) F# and then G#m again and probably sound a bit closer to what you'd like.

Maybe not, though. As I mentioned, I don't know your arrangement and am just basing the chord selection from the original. But I do hope this helps.

Welcome to Guitar Noise again. We look forward to seeing you around here on the Forum pages.

Peace

Posted : 23/07/2010 8:33 pm
(@gwandsh)
Topic starter

Thanks so much. That was just the hint I needed to work it out. For me, a big hurdle.
My lack of music theory really limits me in working out the nuances in many songs. I am a proficient chorder and fair finger picker, but often don't understand why a certain string combination is complimentary in a particular riff.

Again, tnx

Posted : 24/07/2010 1:26 am