Clear all

Guitar Hero to Guitar Zero

17 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@kroikey)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Hi all, I'm a 28 yr old male from the UK. I used to play violin a little at school, but quickly dropped it because I didnt like the screeching noise lol. I'm pretty musical, although only by ear not formally. I played the keyboard a little, but haven't for years. Anyway, I've trained my hand speed and finger dexterity by accident on 'that Guitar Hero' game (boo hiss etc. I know). I got the bug to learn real guitar because I hate to waste accumulated skills, and it seemed like a good idea.

I bought a Richwood electric guitar, very weighty wood effect thing with 4 different 'pickups' (?) and a toggle for a variety of sounds. Got a 10W amp and a 'Learn Rock' dvd. Don't ask on what model I've got, I just liked the guitar! :D

Three hours practise later I've got sore finger tips and immense satisfaction from the my very own six string. I was playing 'Smoke on the Water' main riff, 'James Bond Theme', some scale or other, and I adlibbed the 'Godfather Theme'. Pretty exciting stuff for a n00b like me :)

Anyway, hello and I hope to learn a lot from here!

Posted : 01/04/2008 7:53 am
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

Welcome aboard! Sounds like you are having fun, that's the important thing! :)

Posted : 01/04/2008 10:36 am
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN!

#4491....

Posted : 01/04/2008 11:59 am
(@encolpius)

Guitar Hero is funny. I frown upon it now that I am actually playing the guitar, but I can't deny that if it wasn't for that game I probably wouldn't be playing my Tele today. I still enjoy, though, when I hear someone playing a song on one of those games, going home and looking up the tab and trying to learn it myself. It's how "Jessica" became one of my favorites.

Have fun with your burgeoning skills with the guitar. Soon someday perhaps you won't need the game for you to play all those songs...

Posted : 01/04/2008 3:56 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Welcome to Guitar Noise, Kroikey! We look forward to seeing you around the forums! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 01/04/2008 4:47 pm
(@kroikey)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Guitar Hero is a game, nothing more. Anyone that thinks otherwise is stupid. It can only give you an appreciation for the rythmn behind the music, some appreciation of the difficulty that those artists are playing at, and a desire to learn more about real guitar. People saying "Why not learn real guitar you noob?" might as well say "Why not drive a real Formula 1 car" or "Why not shoot real aliens?". :D

Thanks for the welcome!

Posted : 02/04/2008 12:04 pm
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Howdy, welcome aboard.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Posted : 02/04/2008 2:53 pm
(@phillyblues)
Estimable Member

Welcome from a fellow Guitar Hero "transferee"....hahahahaha.

I'm a bit older (40) and my 13 year old nephew turned me onto the game at a family holiday event last year. Got me interested in finally getting motivated enough to go out and learn the real thing and I'm happy to say I've loved every minute of it. Enjoy the ride.

Posted : 02/04/2008 4:59 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to GN, Kroikey.

Don't know much about the game - seen it advertised, of course, the latest features Slash - but if it's influencing people to go out and buy guitars, that can't be a bad thing!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 02/04/2008 8:48 pm
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

It (Guitar Hero) gave both of my boys the "itch" to learn how to play a real guitar, so it can be all bad!

Welcome Bag!

Posted : 03/04/2008 9:55 pm
 bit
(@bit)

welcome - james bond eh, thats cool I didn't even think of that one after smoke :)

Im like phillyblues up there, about 40 and just learning the guitar. I played sax in high school and can still read music, so with that and tabs and just feeling it ive surprised myself over the last week, exponential increase in dexterity and fun!

This is a pretty cool forum, hope you like it.

Posted : 05/04/2008 10:14 pm
(@kroikey)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Well after a week or so, I can say its going well. Not much improvement in dexterity for me though, but picking up some chords and harmonies. I'm not learning names of chords unless I have to for a riff or something, but I'm enjoying going through some Guitar Pro tabs looking for interesting yet easy songs.

Black Magic Woman - very easy introduction, sounds great
There She Goes - good practise song for me, still trying to get the main riff down without making duff/buzzing notes.
Heart Shaped Box - excellent for practising strumming more than one string and moving frets all at once.

Fingertips are slowly losing their sensitivity; girlfriends not too keen on me forming callouses but at least its my left hand :wink:

Oh, and I finally beat GH3:expert after being stuck on the last two songs for 1.5 months!

Posted : 07/04/2008 9:52 am
(@fredramsey)
Estimable Member

People who put down Guitar Hero and Rock Band confuse me. I've never heard anyone say, "I play Guitar Hero, therefore I am a real guitarist," or anything like that.

I've been wanting to learn to play all my life (just not bad enough, I guess) and starting to play the games recently made me finally give some serious consideration to pursuing the real thing.

I did. I am.

So that's bad how?

:lol:

Learning requires a willingness to be bad at something for awhile.

Posted : 08/04/2008 12:41 pm
(@phillyblues)
Estimable Member

Totally agree, if it turns you onto playing (like it did for me) then that's a good thing. If it doesn't, that's cool too since it opens up a new generation to some classic tunes (my 13 year old nephew would have never heard of SRV, Santana, etc. before he played the game).

Hate to hijack this thread, but this month's issue of Guitar World actually has a section dedicated to the games popularity and its effect on real world playing (for lack of a better term). Includes interviews with Slash and Joe Perry who both provide some interesting perspectives.

Posted : 08/04/2008 5:49 pm
(@kroikey)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Well GH:Aerosmith is out in June, and it follows the bands career. The first GH didnt have any Aerosmith so they went and petitioned to be in GH2. They also managed to get into GH3 and talked Neversoft into their own version of the game! In an interview I read they basically realised the impact the game could have on widening their fan base and pursued the developers. It helps they're from Boston, same as the original GH developers Harmonix.

I don't understand other bands reluctance to be involved, or the hate from some guitarists. Every band that has been in GH have seen huge increases in their popularity, with more radio airplay and often a doubling of their record sales. In fact some of the downloadable songs have gone triple platinum only on their downloadable version!

It feels great to do hard solo's, even if your only doing it for fun in a game. Thats the real reason the game has taken off. Like was said earlier, people are getting exposure to the history of Rock, when before all that it was mainly Dance, Pop and Rap. My 9 yr old daughter loves playing some of my own personal favourites, which is rewarding enough :D

Posted : 09/04/2008 6:17 am
Page 1 / 2