Notifications
Clear all

Hello!

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@lovewrecked)
Topic starter

My name is Philip, and I'm the guitarist for a 2-piece cover act. I play, and she sings. I've come to GuitarNoise to get some advice/suggestions for some good covers to start adding to our repertoire, and also to start honing my personal craft.

I've been playing guitar for about 12 years, but MANY of those years were spent only picking up the guitar every few months for maybe 5 minutes at a time to play a couple licks and that's it. I was self taught and am starting to feel very amateurish due to my lack of understanding of basic guitar mechanics, progressions, and just music theory in general. When I look up chords to songs and start seeing Adim7, Gadd11, et cetera, I just cringe. I have NO idea what they are talking about, and it's starting to limit/frustrate me. I need to learn these things! I have a pretty good handle on all the most basic chords, but I struggle with sharps, flats, and even some basic bar chords like Bm. I think I might need to buy one of them finger strengtheners... but I digress.

Anyways, I'm glad to be here, excited to learn from the community - and to help others in any way I can!

Posted : 07/05/2012 5:40 pm
(@ezraplaysezra)
Honorable Member

Howdy lovewrecked.

I have been playing for a long time and on many stages and I don't know a damn thing.

Posted : 08/05/2012 12:53 pm
(@lovewrecked)
Topic starter

Howdy lovewrecked.

I have been playing for a long time and on many stages and I don't know a damn thing.

Cheers!

Posted : 08/05/2012 8:18 pm
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

You found a great place to hang a hat, here, matey.

A suggestion or three:

Your covers should be geared for the crowd you will be playing. A Holiday Inn crowd is different from a pub with chicken wire guarding the stage for anti-incoming-beer-bottles. Remember that...or wear a helmet...

For your chording development...don't laugh...I will buy anybody's sheet music (I don't care who) and start at the back of the book and chord everything backwards from cover to cover. I lean into my right hand to sort out the rhythms and let my fret hand "learn". I've done this since I was 12. GREAT exercise...

Find these books: Mel Bay's Chord Cycles & Mel Bay's Cycle Of Fifths
Honest to gawd...I owe my livlihood to these books.

Most of all...get the books written by some of my fellow Olde Fartes here on GN. You won't find anything better!

Cheers...

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

Posted : 09/05/2012 2:11 am