Clear all

Hello and nice board...

16 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

You probably think I say that to all the boards, but I really mean it this time.

I'm a recently turned 36. Not bad so far. I think 37 will be worse. I have been playing off and on for about seven or eight years. My development was tragically interupted a couple of years ago due to a serious car accident. I play left handed and it so happens that my left hand had to be surgically re-attached after the accident. I can get around with it fairly well, but I don't have full range with it and I will never be as fast as I used te play. For the longest time I could rotate my wrist far enough to strike the keys. It was an exciting day when I finally got enough flexibility to be able to play again. There is a lot of nerve damage and it still gets numb domrtimed and I drop my pick a lot. Other than that, rock and roll!

I have been playing with a buddy of mine for a couple of years now and we are really hoping to get something going where we can play is a dive pub, reception, or party now and then. We have never played with a drummer, but a buddy of his has been bugging for a year to let him join. He is very good and says he doesn't mind that we aren't that good yet. We'll see because we are planning to jam with him in a couple of weeks.

This forum is great. There seems to be a lot of knowlegable players who are willing to help out and share. I think this is definitely going to help me to grow and develop into a stronger player.

"There won't be any money. But when you die, on your death bed, you will receive total conciousness. So, I got that going for me. Which is nice." - Bill Murray, Caddyshack ~~ Michigan Music Dojo - http://michiganmusicdojo.com ~~

Posted : 28/05/2006 5:30 am
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

Welcome. Always nice to hear a comeback story. Definately take on the drummer. Is doublesided tape on your picks out of the question ?

Best of luck.
Rock on,
Michael

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

Posted : 28/05/2006 12:53 pm
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

that or a thumb pick would get rid of the pick dropping. Thumb picks are great. I have a friend that only has a thumb on his pick hand, but hes a great guitarist thanks to thumb picks.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

Posted : 28/05/2006 1:09 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to GN MrJonesey! :D

Very encouraging story. Keep at it.

Hope to see you around the boards! 8)

Dan

P.S. Cool avatar! 8)

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 28/05/2006 1:25 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Welcome to GuitarNoise, MrJonesey! We look forward to seeing you around the forums! And to hearing how you're progressing! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 28/05/2006 4:16 pm
(@ginger)
Reputable Member

Hi and welcome. That's an amazing story. I appluad your determination. Most people might have thought it was over for them as far as playing is concerned. Good to have ya here! :)

Posted : 28/05/2006 9:46 pm
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

Actually I have been trying to get used to the thumb picks lately. I started working on some slide stuff and that got me experimanting with the thumb picks a little. It's a little awkward, but I think I will like it eventually. It also allows me to attack the sting from a more comfortable wrist angle. I just recently ordered one of those Shark Teeth things that I saw someone mention on one of thse board. It looks like an interesting concept.

Thanks again for the welcome and encouragement. Great site and it seems like a great group of peope (what do you expect from musicians).

btw, i hadn't thought about double stick tape, but Gorilla Snot has been very helpful.

"There won't be any money. But when you die, on your death bed, you will receive total conciousness. So, I got that going for me. Which is nice." - Bill Murray, Caddyshack ~~ Michigan Music Dojo - http://michiganmusicdojo.com ~~

Posted : 29/05/2006 10:02 pm
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Haha!!! LOVE the avatar!

Good ta have ya!

Have fun!

Posted : 30/05/2006 1:04 am
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

Thanks. According to my wife, that's how I dance.

Posted : 30/05/2006 1:20 am
(@ginger)
Reputable Member

hahaha I dance like that too! :D :lol:

Posted : 30/05/2006 1:28 am
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Heck of a story. Glad you found GN.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 30/05/2006 10:02 am
(@rocker)
Noble Member

glad you are ok, keep rockin and good luck with the band, you are welcome here 8)

even god loves rock-n-roll

Posted : 30/05/2006 12:16 pm
(@saber)
Reputable Member

I wonder if you could play with a thumb pick and a splint? If it's your strumming hand you might be able to transfer alot of the strain to your elbow rather then your wrist. Might help. It's great that your still playing though.

See ya around!!!

"Like the coldest winter chill. Heaven beside you. Hell within." -Jerry Cantrell

Posted : 31/05/2006 5:40 am
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

I think the Shark Tooth design is going to be kind of like a splint. It looks basically like a piece of rubber tube with a hoe in it for the pick to fit through and a velcro strap to tighten it down. I'm hoping I will be able to position it to my thumb and freely be able to switch between normal picking and finger picking. It might just give me a much looser feel for my music. It could be a great technique for my style of Blues and Rock. I should get it in the mail any day now, so I'll let you know how it works out for me.

Posted : 31/05/2006 1:05 pm
(@saber)
Reputable Member

Sweet. Maybe we can Hear how it works for you. Eh? Eh? Hmm.

"Like the coldest winter chill. Heaven beside you. Hell within." -Jerry Cantrell

Posted : 31/05/2006 5:21 pm
Page 1 / 2