Notifications
Clear all

Hello from Kansas City

8 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@huffheinz)
Topic starter

Hello everyone! I'm a long time bass player who used to do weekend gigs in dive bars around KC in the late 90's and early 00's. My old band broke up and I got married (the two events were not related) in '03 and I didn't even touch my bass for about 5 years until I picked it up again in the spring of '08 and joined a band within a month.

My current band, the 7Mysteries, are a great group of folks who get together every Saturday and gig every once in a while at bars, private parties, street festivals, church functions and charity events. We all have kids and day jobs and rarely get paid for gigs so we are truly in it for the love of playing music.

Well it's been a year since I dusted off my bass and I'm very comfortable with the 100-or-so songs our band performs, so it's time for a new challenge. I'm now focusing my efforts on learning the 6-string. I have an old pawn shop electric I acquired in the old band's divorce and a Jasmine acoustic I picked up new. I picked up a couple of guitar basics books and I'm now developing callouses on different parts of my fingers while I develop the ability to switch between open chords.

My short term goal is to be good enough to play some rhythm guitar and some fingerstyle. My long term goal is to be able to pull off a singer-songwriter folk and swamp rock show for friends and family.

I'd be interested to hear from any bass-players turned guitar-players and how they handled the transition.

Anyway...I'm glad I stumbled across this site, I think there is a lot that can be learned here.

- Huffheinz

Posted : 18/06/2009 8:28 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Welcome to Guitar Noise! We look forward to seeing you around the forums! :D

I can't really help you with the bass to guitar thing. I learned guitar first, then mandolin, then bass (and I also play the dulcimer). But I'm sure there are lots of people around here who can help! You might want to make some posts in the "Guitar Player's Discussion" forum or in the "Bass Player's Discussion" forum, if you don't get any responses here in "Meet & Greet".

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 18/06/2009 8:46 pm
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN neighbor!

#4491....

Posted : 18/06/2009 9:11 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Welcome aboard! 8)

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 19/06/2009 1:36 am
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I am doing the same path but in opposite direction. I started on guitar and currently I am learning to play bass. I started to play guitar when I was a boy but I had a hiatus of many years. I don't have as experience with guitars as you with basses so it could not be compared. I am having a lot of fun with both instruments.

Welcome to GN!

Posted : 19/06/2009 1:06 pm
(@daven)
Estimable Member

My path was similar to yours but my bass gathered dust for about 18 years before I dug it out, dusted it off and started again. I first picked up a guitar , acoustic, in February and I'm having a lot of fun learning to play.
Welcome!

Posted : 19/06/2009 1:32 pm
(@baldgit)
Trusted Member

Welcome! There are dive bars in Kansas City?....nah I can't believe that. :roll:

MY Soundclick Page http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=908015&content=music

Posted : 19/06/2009 9:34 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Welcome!

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 27/06/2009 6:32 am