Notifications
Clear all

Hello from NY

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@citznmag)
Topic starter

I've been lurking for a bit and thought I'd introduce myself. My name's Maggie and I'm 45 and living in upstate NY. A few years back I tried teaching myself to play on a Yamaha Folk guitar. As many do, I got frustrated and before I built up any callouses, quit. Over the years the desire to learn to play something was so great I tried harmonica, piano, alto recorder and the ocarina but I still kept going back to guitar. I tried again a few years later. Thought that maybe carrying it around would encourage practice so I got myself a travel guitar (Martin backpacker). But, alas, I quit again, BC (before callouses).

Now I'm back, the Yamaha is restrung and I'm ready to give it another go. The inspiration to try again came from an article in an AARP magazine about folks ranging from 60-80 something pursuing long-forgotten dreams. One gentlemen, at 45 (I think), decided he wanted to learn blues guitar. He carried it around everywhere he went. He drove his wife crazy and was forced to only practice in his bathroom at home. In his 60's now, he has traveled and played all over and has a couple of albums out.

I've read his story at least 5 times to remind myself that I can do this. I can learn to smoothly switch chords, keep rhythm and make my guitar sound pretty so I'm not exiled to my bathroom, :lol:

This is a great site and I look forward to meeting, chatting and learning from you all.

Posted : 02/11/2010 10:47 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Welcome, Maggie.

This is a great site with so many knowledgeable individuals here to help guide you through your guitaring journey.

If you attempt to give up again, just post here for some encouragement.

Enjoy the place!

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 05/11/2010 2:25 am
(@citznmag)
Topic starter

Thanks for the welcome, Bish!

Posted : 08/11/2010 9:44 pm