Clear all

Hello from Philadelphia

9 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@phillyblues)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Just wanted to say how much I really enjoy this forum, great info, great advice, and its nice to see that people can still talk about something they are passionate about while still being respectful of one another's opinions.

A little background about myself, I'm 40 and just picked up my first acoustic about a month or so ago along with a copy of Hal Leonard's Guitar Method 1-3. I fell in love with it and quickly found myself playing every chance I got. Oddly, playing made me rediscover music all over again. Started listening and paying more attention to some of my old favorite musicians/guitarists, and found myself “lurking” in the local guitar store (early signs of GAS…hahahahaha).

I was struck by how many of my “guitar hero's” talked about blues music being such an influence in their playing styles so I started listening to it myself and was instantly hooked. Not sure if I would call it a “goal” just yet, but told myself “that's how I want to play one day” and so I began thinking about buying an electric (full blown case of GAS by this point). Initially told myself I was going to wait awhile before I made the big purchase, but that didn't last too long and so this past weekend I went ahead and bought one of the new Fender American Standard Strats (3 tone sunburst with the maple fret board) and a Blues Jr. amp. I love it and thank god for basements and understanding spouses.

From what I've read on these forums, sounds like I should definitely be looking at buying “Blues You Can Use” at some point. Any other feedback along this end would be greatly appreciated.

Again, great forum and glad to be part of it.

Posted : 23/01/2008 3:44 pm
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Welcome!

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

Posted : 23/01/2008 4:59 pm
(@urbancowgirl)
Reputable Member

Welcome phillyblues! :)

Yes, Blues You Can Use is a very good way to learn. The stuff in there helps with the blues but you'll also use it with other types of music as well.

All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I see I should have been more specific.

Posted : 23/01/2008 5:13 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Welcome to Guitar Noise, Phillyblues! We look forward to seeing you around the forums! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 23/01/2008 5:14 pm
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN!

#4491....

Posted : 23/01/2008 9:04 pm
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

Welcome to GN, enjoy your stay!
Cheers, kat :)

Posted : 23/01/2008 9:14 pm
(@phillyblues)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Thanks all for the welcome!!!

Posted : 24/01/2008 3:07 pm
(@classico)
Estimable Member

welcome along! :D
make sure you use that basment... 8)

Posted : 24/01/2008 8:39 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Welcome aboard! 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 28/01/2008 10:42 am