Notifications
Clear all

Hi, I'm new here...

12 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@phurrymartin)
Topic starter

Hello fellow guitar players my name is Chris and I reside in Yorktown Indiana. I'm 22 years old and my wife bought me an accoustic guitar last March for my birthday. So i've been playing seriously for a little under a year. I mainly play Grateful Dead, Bob Dylan folk rock type music I guess you could call it. Just got a computer for Christmas and was researching some Acoustic Guitar resources and stumbled upon this site. As of late i've felt that i've been in some what of a rut with my playing. Seems all I ever do is just strum chords. I'm playing on a Yahama F-335 TBS? (thats what is says on the sticker inside the guitar) I'm wondering if someone can point me to some good articles on understanding how chord progressions work and how to use scales. I have the Mel Bay Complete Book of Chords Scales and Arrpegios but I never use it except to look up chords because I don't really understand how to apply scales in my playing. I've wrote a few songs of my own. I'm hoping to get a microphone for the computer and trying to do some recording of some of my original material. I have a friend who has been playing guitar for about 10 years now since we were kids and plays in a band that plays some local bars in the area he's a great guitarist (in my eyes) but he doesn't really have a good understanding of ... Theory I guess. If anyone has any pointers they would be greatly appreciated. Also any articles that give a good introduction to fingerpicking as it really blows my mind when I try to do it I just can't seem to get my fingers to keep going at a steady pace when I try fingerpicking. This is a really cool site and I'm sure that everything I am asking about is probably included on this site and I just haven't gotten into the site and read a lot of the articles in depth yet just been kind of browsing. Anyways any pointers would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Chris

Posted : 05/01/2007 2:57 am
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Welcome to GN, Chris!

Yes, you're right that many resources exist right here at this site. Click on the guitarnoise.com logo at the upper left of the window and you can go to a storehouse of guitar lessons and articles.

Look around a bit and ask some more questions. There are plenty of experienced, helpful and fun folks around here who will help out.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

Posted : 05/01/2007 3:05 am
(@indiana_jonesin)
Estimable Member

Welcome, Chris! Jump in anywhere. As Margaret said, there is a ton of knowledge and experience here, waiting to be tapped. One of the friendlier groups you'll find anywhere too. BTW, my wife's a Hoosier too-she grew up in Lowell, and still has family up there. Her older brother lives in Hammond, but that's not quite your backyard, is it?

"Yes and an old guitar is all that he can afford,
when he gets up under the lights to play his thing..."-Dire Straits
http://www.myspace.com/misterpete42

Posted : 05/01/2007 3:14 am
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I'm new here myself Chris but welcome. Seems like a cool place.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 05/01/2007 3:15 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to GN, Chris!

Lots of different forums here, and plenty of people willing and able to answer any questions you may have....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 05/01/2007 3:53 am
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Welcome Chris!

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

Posted : 05/01/2007 8:25 am
(@chris_skilton)
Trusted Member

welcome Chris good luck with the guitar and i recently stumbled accros this site myself and the people r friendly and their is a hell of a lot of very useful stuff :lol:

Woot Woot!!

Posted : 05/01/2007 4:59 pm
(@denny)
Reputable Member

Welcome Chris. The wealth of talent I've found on this site should be able to answer any and all questions you have about guitar playing and writing.

Posted : 05/01/2007 5:30 pm
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN, always good to see another of Jerrys kids :wink:

#4491....

Posted : 05/01/2007 5:34 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Hi Chris! Glad you joined us! :D

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 05/01/2007 6:05 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN, Chris.

In a short time a lot of things will start to make sense.

Enjoy your time here.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 06/01/2007 1:53 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Welcome to GuitarNoise!! We look forward to seeing you around the forums! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 06/01/2007 6:04 pm