Notifications
Clear all

Hola n stuff

13 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@yomat)
Topic starter

A couple weeks ago my wife was on the phone with her mom and I was annoying her by playing the 'air guitar' about a foot away from her face (yes, I'm a romantic). After she got off the phone she asked why I never learned to play the real thing. I told her, because I never had a real guitar, so she said I should get one and so... here I am.

After doing my research for a couple weeks, I purchased an Epiphone Les Paul 100 Lefty, a 15w amp, gig bag, etc, etc, etc. I've started learning some chords and will be relying on books and DVD's for most of my instruction. My wife also picked up a Fender Acoustic starter kit for herself. We'll be learning together.

I'd read a couple suggestions that a beginner should start on an acoustic, but more people suggested that I go with the kind of guitar that I like hearing, because in the end it will keep me interested longer. I primarily listen to hard rock and heavy metal, so electric was the choice.

If anything, I hope that by reading this forum, I will see that everyone goes through the same struggles that I'll be dealing with in the coming months. I've already been frustrated by some of the chord fingerings, but I'm sure with time, practice and some muscle memory, it will get easier. At the moment my hands feel about as dextrous as 5lb balls of clay.

I'm not doing this to become a rock star or to impress girls (I'm happily married). I'm doing it, because music has been a big part of my life and I think the ability to actually play some of that music would give me great satisfaction.

Posted : 22/05/2008 11:25 pm
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

Welcome to GN!

Nice story, maybe you & your wife can create a band & start gigging! The most important thing to do is "have fun"!

Cheers, katmetal :)

Posted : 23/05/2008 12:00 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Hi, yomat, and welcome to GN!

Epi LP's a good guitar to start with - not top of the range, but a decent guitar. Yes, playing a guitar you like WILL keep you interested longer - I hate to think of how many teenage kids were put off learning guitar by the fact their parents bought them a nylon-strung acoustic. "But Hendrix/Clapton/SRV/Guitar Deity fo your choice doesn't sound like that...."

It's good that you and Mrs yomat are learning together - you'll be able to encourage each other, and a bit of friendly competition never hurt.
I'm doing it, because music has been a big part of my life and I think the ability to actually play some of that music would give me great satisfaction.

One of the best reasons for picking up the guitar, in my opinion. Stick with it, and the best of luck!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 23/05/2008 12:38 am
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Excellent story and good choice on gettig a guitar that suits the music you like. Learning patience and over coming the struggles is a big part to learning guitar, IMO. Good luck you two.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 23/05/2008 9:38 am
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Welcome to Guitar Noise, Yomat! We look forward to seeing you around the forums! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 23/05/2008 11:21 am
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN!
nice going on getting the new gear as well,
i'm going to play "air Harley" in front of my wife next time she's on the phone with the MiL!
wish me luck!

#4491....

Posted : 23/05/2008 5:41 pm
(@ness-k)
Estimable Member

Whats the deal, I'm left handed, but I play right....weird

"The Beauty of Music is my Sanity. Without it, I would simply lose my gravity, and blow away with the breeze." - Ness K(Aka Matt Harris)

Posted : 23/05/2008 9:06 pm
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Congrats on getting the Epi.

Holla from a fellow Lefty player here. Hope you do play well enough to make your wife sing for you !

Posted : 25/05/2008 7:41 pm
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Howdy. Sounds like you got a keeper there. Nice wife too! :lol:
Looking forward to seeing you on the forums.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Posted : 29/05/2008 8:49 pm
(@yomat)
Topic starter

Thanks for the replies.

Things are coming along slowly, because I haven't been able to dedicate a ton of time to it. However I'm getting faster in switching between chords, so I'm at least satisfied that some progress is being made. The callouses have also built up pretty well so I can practice for more than 20 minutes at a time now.

Posted : 18/06/2008 1:23 am
(@jackss565)
Reputable Member

Welcome to GN!

Posted : 18/06/2008 1:11 pm
(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

welcome to the best site in the musical univerese 8)

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

Posted : 19/06/2008 1:42 pm
(@jackss565)
Reputable Member

[quote="TwistedLefty" i'm going to play "air Harley" in front of my wife next time she's on the phone with the MiL!
wish me luck!

Brilliant idea!

Posted : 19/06/2008 4:13 pm