Notifications
Clear all

Hullo from Asia - Hopelly not a quitter again

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@baconcheese)
Topic starter

I've lurked here for quite a while, but only took the initiative to introduce myself tonight. :)

Well a bit (lot) about myself, I'm currently living in Bali (yes, the surfing paradise. Completely wasted on a city snob like me), and since I'm on a semester break from school, I decided to utilize the time to pick up the guitar. I've had some lessons for a half a year some four years ago with a mediocre teacher but quit since I had to move to Australia. Now that my friend inspired me to pick up the guitar again by playing some songs when we had nothing else to do, I'm hoping to really take it seriously this time. It helps that he'd introduced an awesome teacher too :wink:

Though I'll be the first one to admit that I'm a pro at quitting stuff I started. Aikido, wushu, kendo, guitar, painting, karate, coding, graphic design - been there, done that, but got distracted too quickly. Ah well, the ailments of youth. Every time I would start something, invest in it, then completely forget about it in a month or two. I acknowledge this disease, and thus pray to the god of guitars that perseverance be me. Something like that. Well, I bought a beautiful black Takamine acoustic that I've dreamed of for four years (because hey, appearances do count), so I've been taking lessons twice a week for around 3 weeks now.

...Then I bought a bass. Actually been thinking about playing basses since I was a kid, but ended up going the guitar route instead. So I thought what the hell and decided to learn the bass and guitar at the same time. So I traded my 5 string ibanez I bought from sheer impulse for a fender jazz bass MIM. I'm probably overdoing it by buying that for a first time bass for a chronic quitter - but I hope that I'm really gonna stick with it now. Especially proving that bass is so. Much. Fun. It also factors the fact that the more investment I spend on my first instrument will be detrimental in keeping my interest in it. I mean, since the bass is so pretty, staring at it will hopefully make me want to play it. Proves to be useful since I can't seem to put it down. Methinks the Takamine will just sit around and look pretty for a while. I thought that for an added motivation I'd buy (get someone to buy) me a MIA/MIJ bass when I can really play - or even a custom one :roll: Plus just standing around holding my bass makes my coolness for up by 50 points. Srzly.

Anyways, sorry for the long post. But I figured by talking about it it'll boost my motivation somehow. And if you're wondering about my name, I have a dog named Bacon, so I'm honoring him. Very cute.

Nice to meet you all!

Posted : 18/07/2009 5:23 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to GN! 8)

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 18/07/2009 5:54 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Welcome to Guitar Noise, Baconcheese (and Bacon, too :) )! We look forward to seeing you around the forums! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 18/07/2009 7:02 pm
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Welcome! We're glad to have you and the canine Bacon.

Bass players ARE cool. Yep, I agree, even standing there, they have a smooooth look & posture. :D

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

Posted : 18/07/2009 9:09 pm
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

You now mean Australasia, I guess??? :?

Welcome! (I mean "gidday"!)

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

Posted : 19/07/2009 12:20 am
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member

I've lurked here for quite a while, but only took the initiative to introduce myself tonight. :)

Well a bit (lot) about myself, I'm currently living in Bali (yes, the surfing paradise. Completely wasted on a city snob like me), and since I'm on a semester break from school, I decided to utilize the time to pick up the guitar. I've had some lessons for a half a year some four years ago with a mediocre teacher but quit since I had to move to Australia. Now that my friend inspired me to pick up the guitar again by playing some songs when we had nothing else to do, I'm hoping to really take it seriously this time. It helps that he'd introduced an awesome teacher too :wink:

Though I'll be the first one to admit that I'm a pro at quitting stuff I started. Aikido, wushu, kendo, guitar, painting, karate, coding, graphic design - been there, done that, but got distracted too quickly. Ah well, the ailments of youth. Every time I would start something, invest in it, then completely forget about it in a month or two. I acknowledge this disease, and thus pray to the god of guitars that perseverance be me. Something like that. Well, I bought a beautiful black Takamine acoustic that I've dreamed of for four years (because hey, appearances do count), so I've been taking lessons twice a week for around 3 weeks now.

...Then I bought a bass. Actually been thinking about playing basses since I was a kid, but ended up going the guitar route instead. So I thought what the hell and decided to learn the bass and guitar at the same time. So I traded my 5 string ibanez I bought from sheer impulse for a fender jazz bass MIM. I'm probably overdoing it by buying that for a first time bass for a chronic quitter - but I hope that I'm really gonna stick with it now. Especially proving that bass is so. Much. Fun. It also factors the fact that the more investment I spend on my first instrument will be detrimental in keeping my interest in it. I mean, since the bass is so pretty, staring at it will hopefully make me want to play it. Proves to be useful since I can't seem to put it down. Methinks the Takamine will just sit around and look pretty for a while. I thought that for an added motivation I'd buy (get someone to buy) me a MIA/MIJ bass when I can really play - or even a custom one :roll: Plus just standing around holding my bass makes my coolness for up by 50 points. Srzly.

Anyways, sorry for the long post. But I figured by talking about it it'll boost my motivation somehow. And if you're wondering about my name, I have a dog named Bacon, so I'm honoring him. Very cute.

Nice to meet you all!

Talking about it does motivate you, I've been playing for 1 year and 6 months ( something like that ) just by talking about it ( and by feeling cool when I learn something bad-@ss).

Yeah Bass players are cool, I wish I could find one, anywhere!

I wanna be that guy that you wish you were ! ( i wish I were that guy)

You gotta set your sights high to get high!

Everyone is a teacher when you are looking to learn.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

Posted : 19/07/2009 1:18 am