Notifications
Clear all

I have never touched a guitar

11 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@yellowdragon)
Topic starter

I've always wanted to learn to play the guitar. I recently met a gentleman that is getting into teaching music. (I believe he has instructed in the past). I don't know much about him but he said he graduated from http://www.berklee.edu/ . Since I know nothing about this is there any way to tell if the person giving me lessons is a good instructor? I do trust him, I'm just curious if there is any way to tell if we are good for each other in this experience? (I'm okay with shutting up and being the student).

I bought a guitar on ebay this evening. I feel like I'm more motivated now than I have ever been, purchasing the guitar is one reason I'm saying I'm more motivated now than ever.

The guitar I bought is a Fender DG-22CE NAT Acoustic, I paid $260 plus $40 shipping and insurance? good deal / bad deal ? I'm not concerned much about it being a good deal or a bad deal, I'm just glad I'm this far into it. I'll sell the guitar later if this doesn't work out or if I need something else, I'm all for getting new toys etc.

I'm pretty open to this experience and advice will be helpful, thank you.

Posted : 04/10/2006 3:14 am
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Welcome!

Berklee is 'the big one' as far as formal musical education goes, like MIT is for engineering/technology. Who knows if he can manage to get any of that knowledge into someone else though? Learning and teaching are very different :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

Posted : 04/10/2006 7:59 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to GN, and good luck with your new guitar. 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 04/10/2006 10:53 am
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

No matter the teacher or their creditials, you'll never know if you and he are a good "fit" until you take a few lessons together. It a matter of communitcation.

Good luck on your purchase and hope you enjoy this hobby as much as the rest of us have.

Jim

PS: We have a Fender acoustic too, not sure what model, and I love it. This one has been busted and repaired and yet it still sounds beautiful.

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 04/10/2006 11:01 am
 Glee
(@glee)
Estimable Member

I too have a Fender DG-22CE NAT, mine is acoustic with fishman pickups, I bought it for 4 or 5 hundred, at a pawnshop.
When I bought the guitar it sold for around $800 at my nearest music store. But that was 10 years ago

Tim

Posted : 04/10/2006 11:55 am
(@yellowdragon)
Topic starter

Thank you for all the support. I'm pretty excited.

Posted : 04/10/2006 1:50 pm
(@dhutson)
Estimable Member

Welcome to GN! As a newbie myself (less than a year's experience), I have found everyone here to be extremely helpful.

Finding the RIGHT guitar teacher can be a lot like dating. You have to find just the right one and it might take several lessons before you can determine if you and your teacher are on the same wavelength. The best recommendation is to sign up for lessons, commit to communicate, and be realistic in your expectations.

/dwayne

** Edit ** And don't be afraid to dump a loser.

http://www.soundclick.com/wayneroberts

Posted : 04/10/2006 3:06 pm
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

Welcome to GN yellowdragon.

Enjoy.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

Posted : 04/10/2006 5:31 pm
(@dougp23)

As a newbie who's taking lessons, it just comes down to "do the two of you 'click'"? If you do, then it's a good fit.

Good luck!

Posted : 05/10/2006 7:06 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN!

I'd add that if this particular teacher doesn't work out, find another one. Don't let one experience ruin a good attitude about guitar lessons in general.

Enjoy the forums! We do. :wink:

Also, there is a ton of information for getting started with guitar on the GN website but outside the forums. Don't forget about that area. :D

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 05/10/2006 7:23 pm
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member

The only way to find out is to take a lesson or two. Don't get impatient if things don't click reight away. It takes i little time for you to pick up different techniques and concepts. It's very exciting when you do have these moments of revelation.

"There won't be any money. But when you die, on your death bed, you will receive total conciousness. So, I got that going for me. Which is nice." - Bill Murray, Caddyshack ~~ Michigan Music Dojo - http://michiganmusicdojo.com ~~

Posted : 05/10/2006 7:58 pm