Clear all

Life is one big circle.....

28 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@catsworth)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Well.....I'm new here so I thought I'd introduce myself, say hi, and give you a potted history of me and guitars :)

I'm 28 and from the UK (big shout out to all my fellow UK'ers ;) ).

I first got interested in learning to play the guitar when I was about 15, I pestered my parents for months (and months, and months) to buy me a guitar. Eventually they relented and agreed to buy me one if I did ok with my GCSEs (Secondary school exams).

Needless to say, this was all the motivation that I needed and I was soon the owner of my first guitar. Solid bodied electric, hard-tail, single HB pickup. Also.....just about as cheap as you can get. Nonetheless I was stoked - in my head I was already a rock God and was second only to Hendrix in terms of skill and ability.

In reality my playing sucked.....for a long time.....and never got any better.

I put some of that down to a lack of real motivation, but I also felt (and in hindsight I think that this is closer to the truth than I knew at the time) that I was largely being hampered by the guitar I was using.

I know that there's a saying that "a bad workman always blames his tools", I guess there's an equivelant "a bad musician always blames his instrument" but for me I truely believe this was the case.

The sound from this guitar was dreadful, truly dreadful (and not just because of my playing). I guess this was largely due to cheap construction etc. It was also a nightmare to play, the action was way too high (or at least, it seemed to be) and it refused any attempts to get a decent setup.

In the end I became totally disillusioned and just abandoned the whole thing as a bad deal.....

So, here I am some 12 months later and I'm starting to get that familiar feeling - like I'm missing something. For some reason my mind is telling me that what I'm missing is the feeling that playing a guitar used to give me. No matter what was wrong with the world (and no matter how bad I sounded) I always felt better when I had that cheap six-string in my hand.

So, yet again, I'm hankering after a guitar.

In the course of my research I found this site, and I'm loving reading through the posts and articles - so a big thanks to everybody that posts/contributes here :)

Hopefully it won't be long before I own my new guitar.....until then I'll just read, absorb, and dream.

Rumour has it that if you play Microsoft CDs backwards you will hear Satanic messages.

Worse still, is that if you play them forwards they will install Windows.

Posted : 03/05/2006 4:09 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Hi Catsworth!

Welcome to GN! Nice bio. Hope to see you around the boards soon. Good luck on your quest for a new guitar. 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 03/05/2006 4:36 pm
(@catsworth)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Hi :)

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I'm sure you'll see a lit more of me, it's probably all going to be questions to start with - but we've all got to start somewhere ;)

Thanks again,

*Cats*

Rumour has it that if you play Microsoft CDs backwards you will hear Satanic messages.

Posted : 03/05/2006 5:51 pm
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

OMG I LOVE YOUR SIGNATURE.

Since I'm still young my rents control the house computers. My dell runs windows. I have a pentium 2 downstairs running Fedora Core Linux. I love linux. I don't know if your into Mac, or Linux, or something else, but good for you.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

Posted : 03/05/2006 7:11 pm
(@catsworth)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

I don't know if your into Mac, or Linux, or something else, but good for you.

My main workhorse (my laptop) is currently dual-booting XP-Pro with Ubuntoo. My server is on WinServer2k3.
Unfortunately I've got too many MS dependencies to go fully Linux yet.....but I'm getting there :)

Posted : 04/05/2006 6:19 am
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

*waves from Southampton*

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

Posted : 04/05/2006 8:36 am
(@catsworth)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Hi CAS :)

Thanks for the wave, how's sunny Southampton?

Posted : 04/05/2006 9:08 am
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Hey, welcome to GN. Dig in and enjoy your stay

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

Posted : 04/05/2006 10:35 am
(@catsworth)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Thanks Nils :)

Posted : 04/05/2006 10:37 am
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Hi CAS :)

Thanks for the wave, how's sunny Southampton?
Funnily enough, sunny :) Football's not so good though :roll:

Whereabouts are you?

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

Posted : 04/05/2006 1:25 pm
(@catsworth)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

I'm in Cambridgeshire :) Up in Sunny East Anglia :)

Posted : 04/05/2006 2:00 pm
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

Hi Cats - this one comes all the way from (yep, you guessed it) (very) sunny... Dorset :D

Good to meet you - I assume that's you on the Linux Format forum, going all dewy-eyed about Ubuntu?

:wink:

Posted : 04/05/2006 11:02 pm
(@catsworth)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Hey PV :)

Yeah, that's probably me as well - I get about a lot ;)

Posted : 05/05/2006 7:11 am
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN.

Looks like you'll fit in perfect.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 05/05/2006 8:14 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Welcome to GuitarNoise, Catsworth! We look forward to seeing you around the forums! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 05/05/2006 10:58 pm
Page 1 / 2