G'day.

12 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
 Oric
(@oric)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Hello. I'm a bassist, I've been one for about two or three years. I play in my school's jazz band, so I can read music and the like pretty well. I just got a git-fiddle, a Yamaha acoustic used, and I've been learning some. My dad's a guitarist also, he's been learning for over a year, and can play the git-box pretty good. That's how I found out about this website.

I also play (at varying degrees of skill level) tuba, piano, organ, trombone, and mandolin. I listen to all styles of music, my favorite rock bands are Sigur Rós and Pink Floyd, my favorite jazz musicians are Trane, Miles, and Charles Mingus, and my favorite composers are Holst, Shostakovich, Wagner, Bach, Berlioz, and Whitacre. Funk, I love The Meters and Ohio Players. Rap/Hip-Hop- Mos Def, Blackalicious, Del the Funkee Homosapien, De La Soul... OK, I'll shut up.

I've looked at the lessons and such, I rather like them. I think I'll stick around here for awhile.

Posted : 04/05/2006 12:55 am
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

Hey, and welcome!

I'm impressed by all the instruments you play. Thats great. It's tough enough to learn one. Also it's great to see other younger people into real music, I'm a blues fan. I like jazz a lot too, even been to a few concerts. Welcome!

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

Posted : 04/05/2006 1:29 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to GN Oric! :D

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 04/05/2006 2:09 am
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

...Del the Funkee Homosapien...Heh, did he do "Mr Dobalina"? I used to love that song, it's not really my taste in music, but there was something about it :)

Hello by the way :mrgreen:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

Posted : 04/05/2006 8:41 am
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

Posted : 04/05/2006 10:33 am
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

hi and welcome

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

Posted : 06/05/2006 9:28 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Welcome to GuitarNoise, Oric! We look forward to seeing you around the forums! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 07/05/2006 3:21 am
(@ginger)
Reputable Member

Started off playing bass, Cool instrument. welcome :)

Posted : 07/05/2006 8:52 pm
 Oric
(@oric)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Now notice I didn't say I play all those instruments well... I hardly have enough time to practice all of them, my mandolin playing's getting a bit rusty, and my trombone playing is laughable... of all those, I'm best at tuba and bass, since I play them regularly. I also try to pick up my guitar once in awhile.

Posted : 14/05/2006 7:28 pm
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

With all that interest in brass I thought you might have some intrest in ska, am I right?

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

Posted : 14/05/2006 7:31 pm
 Oric
(@oric)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

I do like ska, yes. The saxophone solo in "Ska Boss" by the Aquabats is quite kickin'.

Posted : 15/05/2006 1:28 am
(@nolongerme)
Honorable Member

Welcome!

Posted : 21/05/2006 1:51 am