Clear all

Me and my guitars

9 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@number6)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

I've been occasionally asking questions here since I started to play the guitar, but I've decided to make an effort to become more active on the boards. As such, I thought I'd introduce myself.

My name's Joel and I'm 18. I became interested in learning the guitar in 2003, though I didn't start practicing consistantly until Fall 2004. I'm certainly not as good as I'd like to be (I can only play two songs beginning to end. And not perfectly either. Ziggy Stardust and Limelight, if anyone's wondering), which is why I'm here. I like classic rock in general, and Rush, David Bowie and Queen specifically (though I've recently started listening to Alanis Morrisette).

Back in June I aquired an acoustic guitar at a garage sale for $25. Some new bridge pins, tuner bushings and strings later, I have an instrument that's worth at least as much as I paid for it (though not much more...)

Yup. It's a genuine Marlin acoustic. :D Made in Korea.

Upon getting a part-time job, I decided to build an electric guitar. Five months, $750 (that should have been saved for university) and a million headaches later, I have this:

It looks better in pictures than it does in real life. It's certainly not perfect, but it sounds pretty good. And given that I've never done any sort of woodworking before... The neck was pre-bought at a music store. It came from a Peavey Generation, I think. The pickups are Burns Trisonic replicas from Kent Armstrong, wired in series with an on-off and phase reversal switch for each one (sound familiar?). This gives a pretty big variety of sound. Eventually I may or may not install some push-pull pots for series-parallel switching as well, though that's a ways off.

The hunger site. Click once a day to give free food.

Posted : 31/08/2006 2:28 pm
(@97reb)
Noble Member

The experience you got from those guitars will carry you a long way. Keep on building and modding, WELCOME, and rock on that classic rock!

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

Posted : 31/08/2006 2:34 pm
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN, even though you been here a bit, this is your official welcome. I wish I had the nerve to mess with my guitar but I am scared to death of breaking them... Good luck on yours.

JIm

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 31/08/2006 6:31 pm
(@number6)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Building one'll get rid of that fear easily. I now would have no qualms about removing a bolt-on neck (though I'd be wary of doing extra routing to the body...). As far as the acoustic goes, all the changes I made to it were cosmetic. The old bridge pins had fake diamonds embedded in their tops, and the tuner bushings were old cracking plastic. I just had to slide them off and put on the nice metal ones that I couldn't use on my electric.

The hunger site. Click once a day to give free food.

Posted : 31/08/2006 7:40 pm
 Pet
(@pet_1567860324)
Estimable Member

Nice one, well done.

Happy belated welcome to GN

-Pet

"We Are The Facilitators Of Our Own Creative Evolution".

Posted : 31/08/2006 7:57 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Nice to meet ya! :D

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 31/08/2006 9:29 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Welcome to GuitarNoise, Number6! We look forward to seeing you around the forums! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 31/08/2006 10:38 pm
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to the party :D nice looking ax 8) --the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 01/09/2006 4:57 pm
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Welcome Joel. That electric in neat looking.

Hope you find the answers you need to progess as a musician here.

Paul

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

Posted : 01/09/2006 9:07 pm