Clear all

New and blue...

8 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Hi, I'm new here from Ontario, CANADA. I'm beginning to forget things, that's putting it mildly, but have played off & on for about 38 years, since the early 70's. I mainly like acoustic folk or "hippy music", Beatles and Bob Dylan. I dig the blues very, very much, Southern Rock, also some minor attempts at shredding and finger tapping for exercise and versatility. I never took lessons, and am not that good, but I suppose I get by, with many different amateur performing experiences.

I enjoy the relaxed timbre & simplicity of good 'ol acoustics, but also build and modify electrics to no end, finding new sonic territory, and many wild but useable sounds. So I can leave my many decades of effects in their boxes, and play uncomplicated, without the tangle and all those knobs. Yes, I'm getting lazy.

My main guitars are the smallish 1950's Gibson L50, bigger 1971 Gibson Southern Jumbo, 1970 CBS Masterworks dreadnaught by Kauzo Yairi, a well-used recent-but-resonant Garrison A/E and a brand new Crafter 12 string.

Electrically, my current favorite is my so-old, slightly modified (by me) Ibanez RX270 - I can't remember when I got it, but it was used and aged beautifully. I made an all-American FrankenStrat from parts that my son threw my way, and it plays like butter, with 10 sounds from a rotary switch replacing a tone control. I have a stock Japan Strat with 2 humbuckers from 1986, plus an early 1986 American Standard Strat, Gunmetal Blue which was started in 1984 at Fullerton and took 2 years for Fender to finish, released from Corona. Also a 1957 RI Aztec Gold Strat, and a 2000 Clapton Blackie. One Gibson Les Paul Standard switched to EMG's, an original Guild Polara with Seymour Duncans (SG style), 2 PRS's, a near mint 1974 Mustang and another short-scale Toronado with Atomic humbuckers. I have a couple of really fun Danelectros too, a Godin, various Tele's and a Squier '51. There's a few more, stashed away, or undergoing transition with mods.

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

Posted : 07/07/2009 3:16 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Welcome to Guitar Noise! We look forward to seeing you around the forums! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 07/07/2009 6:17 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Welcome aboard! 8)

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 08/07/2009 9:39 am
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Quite a nice collection!
let's get some of that fadeing memory posted on the boards before it is lost forever 8)
Welcome to GN!

#4491....

Posted : 08/07/2009 9:49 am
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

I mainly like acoustic folk or "hippy music", Beatles and Bob Dylan. I dig the blues very, very much, Southern Rock, also some minor attempts at shredding and finger tapping for exercise and versatility. I never took lessons, and am not that good, but I suppose I get by, with many different amateur performing experiences.

Hmmm . . . I think you might be me in my next life . . . or is it I might be you in my next life?
Anyway . . .
Welcome to GN.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 08/07/2009 9:56 am
(@daven)
Estimable Member

Welcome.

Posted : 08/07/2009 12:08 pm
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Thank you, and hi again. This could be informative and fun.

I look forward to sharing our experiences and talking guitars, etc. :D

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

Posted : 09/07/2009 1:30 pm
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member

Hey welcome, I didn't welcome you when u got here but your a cool kat, so I welcome you now to Guitarnoise, there's lots of stuff here, and music never ends :D even if you forget, your muscles never forget.

I wanna be that guy that you wish you were ! ( i wish I were that guy)

You gotta set your sights high to get high!

Everyone is a teacher when you are looking to learn.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

Posted : 17/07/2009 2:22 am