Notifications
Clear all

New and frustrated

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@ancient-serpent)
Topic starter

Hi I've wanted to learn guitar for a while but never had the time, But a bit of spare time now so I thought let's give it a go. I "play" a steel string Yamaha acoustic. I do have a really simple question. Is it really supposed to be this hard? I have a tutor and he makes it look so easy. It's like I'm trying to learn to drive all over again. I'm having to think about everything. Maybe I'm being hard on myself, but damn it's difficult!!!

Posted : 09/08/2016 8:05 pm
(@alangreen)

No, your tutor needs to stop "teaching by travel brochure" (this is what it looks like when you get here) as Jamie Andreas used to call it.

Learning to play guitar ain't easy, and there's a lot to remember, but drag your tutor back to more basics - early Beatles, REM (Everybody Hurts, Losing My Religion), early Eagles, music from the Trinity Rock or RGT Acoustic Guitar Initial Grade Exam books - all thoroughly grounded in decent technique but very accessible music.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 10/08/2016 4:42 am
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Welcome to Guitar Noise.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 03/07/2018 4:34 pm
(@rsears1957yahoo-com)

I had a teacher like that once. He was really impressed with himself. I bored. I quite. find another teacher. welcome. Renee

Posted : 29/09/2018 10:09 pm