Notifications
Clear all

New Guy Checkin' In

9 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@whyzeeguy)
Topic starter

Well, I just completed registration at GuitarNoise.com and this is my first post, so I guess I'm the latest FNG.

I've been pickin' at the guitar for 20+ years now but was never serious about playing proficiently. Took a few of lessons here & there over the years, played in and was kicked out of a couple of C&W, R&B and Tejano bands in the 80's, it was a weird era. :roll:

I have a Ovation acoustic guitar, model 1111, that I've plucked at over the past 10 years, but was never very serious about playin' it competently. My first love has been and always will be off-road motorcycle racin' but at 42 the injuries are starting to get more severe and frequent as the reflexes go. Last injury was a broken back and with a wife and two boys, I thought it might be a good time to quit. I won the 2005 Texas Off Road Racing Open Amateur Championship anyway so might as well go out on top.

Never one to be all work and no play I decided it would be a good time to start workin' on improving my my guitar pluckin' abilities. So yesterday I laid down the cash for a new black Fernandes Dragonfly Deluxe, although a Fernandes guitar comin' from Japan has got this Texan all confused, but that's a short trip anyway. As I'm waiting for the guitar to arrive I still have to go get an amp and all the other peripherals, any input on what the necessities to buy is appreciated,

I sure hope this guitar playin' don't get as expensive as motorcycle racin', or my wife will be highly agitated, again.

Posted : 08/03/2006 3:54 pm
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN Whyzeeguy!! I like Texans mostly. :lol: Man you are in for trouble. I think just about any hobbie can get pretty expensive. Never thought that a little beer making supplies would turn into over $1000 obsession (so far). But its GOOD.

Anyways. Pics and stuff are appreciated when you get new equipment in. We all like to drool.

Keep on postin.
Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 08/03/2006 4:01 pm
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Welcome to the GN institute for the terminally GASed!

#4491....

Posted : 08/03/2006 5:23 pm
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN. Fun bunch so join in

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

Posted : 08/03/2006 11:07 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Welcome to GuitarNoise! We look forward to seeing more of you around the forums!

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 08/03/2006 11:37 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I sure hope this guitar playin' don't get as expensive as motorcycle racin', or my wife will be highly agitated, again.

Hi WhyZeeGuy. Welcome to GN! :D You can tell your wife to rest ashured that guitarist don't ever let themselves buy more equipment than they need! :wink: We never feel the need to purchase more and more guitars, amps, effects pedals, straps, slides, capos, picks, chords, strings, books, CD's, DVD's, cases to keep our gear in, stands to display our gear... oh heck, who am I kidding?! Gotta go, I just saw a review of a Fender acoustic guitar in the "Opinions & Polls" forum I have to check out. It's soo cool! Not that I need it or anything! :roll:

:lol:
Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 09/03/2006 2:08 am
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Hey man! Welcome to GuitarNoise! I hope you like it here, it truly is a great place. The Fernandes looks sweet. Hope you enjoy it!

Paul

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

Posted : 09/03/2006 12:23 pm
(@whyzeeguy)
Topic starter

Thanks guys. I look forward (and I know the dog does too) to learing how to play as well as SRV or Roy Clark within the next few months. :lol:

I went to a local music shop the other day and started asking all those stupid rookie questions one has to ask in order to learn not to ask, and got the cold shoulder for the store clerk. Guess my money wasn't green enough.

So where is a good place to stupidly spend money for music gear I might possibly need within the next 1000 years in the Dallas Fort Worth Metroplex? I get all over North Texas so if anyone can recommend a good music store without the cursory arrogant sales clerk I sure would appreciate it.

Posted : 10/03/2006 1:10 pm
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Matt, I totally get what you are saying. I have spent ALOT of money on instruments between my guitar hobbie, my sons drum hobbie and my other son trumpet. But it seems like half the music stores I would go to would give me the cold shoulder. So, as I bought from all of them I took note of the ones that would actually remember my face. I narrowed it down to one store and that is where I buy 99% of everything now.

My suggestion is that you are just going to have to hit a bunch of stores until you feel better about one in particular. Then I suggest you tend to purchase from them almost exclusively.

There are just a few people from Texas that visit here (That I know of) hopefully one of them will pipe in. You could always drive to Norman, Oklahoma. :D

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 10/03/2006 1:18 pm