Clear all

New here and on a ToneQuest.

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@homiefud)
Topic starter

Hey all,

I'm Scott. Currently in FL but hopefully not for long. Technically, I've been playing most of my life. I started when I was about 10 when my parents got me my first guitar. A Epiphone LP Jr, if I recall correctly. I found out later they were taken because the haedstock had been cracked off and re-glued. And not very well. Although I started young, I didn't get very serious until I was out of high school. I got good enough to play rhythm in some local bands, but that's about as far as I got because real life started getting in the way. I picked up the guitar only occasionally for the next 20 years.

Last year I rediscovered my long lost passion. I'm 43 now, and now that I am making some money, I can get some nice gear that I've always wanted to have. I have a few different guitars that I really love, some really great sounding pedals, one awesome amp and one hopefully-to-be awesome cab. I'm still looking for the perfect speakers for it.

I've been scouring forums looking for reviews and opinions on different speakers. I don't have the luxury of trying out different stuff locally. Only a GC and SA as far as music stores. Not a boutique shop for 150 miles. So I have to do lots of research and then trial-and-error the stuff that I think I will like.

That's me in a nutshell.

Posted : 23/01/2013 1:41 am
(@ezraplaysezra)
Honorable Member

don't over think it - celestion vintage 30 speakers are the industry standard - the box is a question of taste for a large part. Guitar ware house speakers are my new favorites for the last 3 years and they have comparable versions of everything, made in America and priced very well. Lots of great cabinet makers on the web like mojo and avatar if you're thinking custom (w/o custom prices) and then there is always my favorite source for speaker cabs, the home depot.

Posted : 23/01/2013 2:19 pm
(@homiefud)
Topic starter

I've got the cab already. It's Port City 2x12OS. It's a great cab. Fullness of a 4x12, low end of an open back and punchiness of a closed back. I just have to find the right speakers for the sound I hear in my head. So far I've tried a bunch of different Celestions. V30s, T75s,, 65s, MC-90s, CL80s and combos of them. Right now I'm pretty happy with the V30/MC-90 combo. But it's still missing something. I have considered WGS, but I think my next step is going to be trying out some Scumbacks.

Posted : 23/01/2013 3:41 pm
(@ezraplaysezra)
Honorable Member

I had the 25 blackback's / greenback split x pattern before I found the green berets (They were loaded in the cab when I bought it). I actually sold the scumbacks for more than I paid for the berets. great speakers (ove-priced a little) , but I actually prefer the green berets over the actual green backs now. Which is good - one thing in life I like the cheaper alternative for.

Posted : 23/01/2013 4:55 pm
(@homiefud)
Topic starter

The Greenback and Heritage types are the speakers I still want to try with this amp. Unfortunately, with a 2x12 I need a speaker rated for a few more watts to be safe. I would definitely try the Green Berets and the Reapers if they had models that were rated higher. Which is why I'm leaning towards the Scumbacks. They have 25, 65 and 100 watt versions of most of their models. Two 65s would be perfect for me. I'm itching to try an M75 paired with an H75.

Posted : 23/01/2013 5:29 pm