Clear all

New here (that's the point isn't it?)

11 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@peejay)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

I bought a bass guitar (Yamaha RBX170) off craigslist "out of the blue" about a month ago to make some of my idle time more fun/productive. I liked the portability (between rooms) and headphonability of it compared to the piano. My previous music instrument experience is: years of piano lessons, ending before I started highschool (still play, no lessons); 3 years of clarinet in middle school (haven't touched one since); playing around with an acoustic guitar (I can do some basic chords but that's about it, and my strumming is terrible :lol: ); one day of fiddling with a violin (good pun, right?). For reference, I am about 5 years out of college now.

More or less, I was searching craigslist etc for a cheap violin to experiment with until I realized there was really no such thing as a cheap violin, so then I started searching for a cheap(er, at least) bass guitar instead. Both have 4 strings, right? ;)

I joined here because the bass section looked less intimidating than TalkBass, for a beginner. Now I've spread to reading outside the bass section, and now I'm torn between wanting to try a regular 6-string electric and fearing that I'll stop learning anything on the bass if I actually get one. :P I do find that playing the bass does inspire me to pick up the (cheap) acoustic I do have.

My first guitar was a half(?) size acoustic for something like my 8th or 10th birthday; the two things I remember about it are the incredibly high action on the first fret (OUCH!) and the fact that I broke a string and "fixed" it by tying what was left of the string (which was most of it) to another piece of "regular" string and using it like that (which worked just fine :) for a cheap half-size guitar at least). Next acoustic came from my uncle with nylon strings which I liked, then my sister took it off to school where they proceeded to restring it with steel and then it hurt my fingers (this is before I had any real concept of why you would use one or the other). Now I really like the bass strings, because I barely even feel them in comparison (I can't believe how thin and sharp the acoustic strings feel now, and that's one thing on the negatives for trying to also learn guitar).

Okay this turned out much longer than I expected so I'll stop now. :shock:

Posted : 11/09/2007 1:22 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Nice to meet you Peejay! :D

Have fun with your new bass. 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 11/09/2007 3:15 am
(@anuradha)

Hello Peejay :D

Good luck with your bass!

Posted : 11/09/2007 11:10 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Hi Peejay and welcome, even though I think we've already crossed paths....

There is one major difference - well two, if you include SIZE - between violin and bass - bass is tuned (bottom to top) in fifths - E A D G.....violin is tuned in fourths, bottom to top, G D A E. I think that's right, doubtless someone will correct me i I'm wrong.

Bass playing WILL make you a better guitarist - at least that's what I've found so far. You tend to think of music from a slightly different perspective as a bass player than as a guitar player, and combining the two disciplines can only increase your knowledge.

Besides which - playing bass will improve your hand strenth and your stretching ability.

Good luck!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 11/09/2007 12:05 pm
(@peejay)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

There is one major difference - well two, if you include SIZE - between violin and bass - bass is tuned (bottom to top) in fifths - E A D G.....violin is tuned in fourths, bottom to top, G D A E. I think that's right, doubtless someone will correct me i I'm wrong.

So I should play the violin left-handed? :lol:

Posted : 11/09/2007 12:11 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

So I should play the violin left-handed?

Er - probably not. Violins have been tuned that way for hundreds of years - there must be a reason for it!

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 11/09/2007 3:25 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

There is one major difference - well two, if you include SIZE - between violin and bass - bass is tuned (bottom to top) in fifths - E A D G.....violin is tuned in fourths, bottom to top, G D A E. I think that's right, doubtless someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

OK, I'll correct myself.....the bass guitar is tuned in FOURTHS, and the violin in FIFTHS - I got it wrong way around. I could try and get away with "I was just testing you all, wondering if anyone would notice".....(I did, does that mean I passed my own test?) but you wouldn't believe me now, would you!

Vic

Posted : 11/09/2007 3:30 pm
(@jimjam66)
Trusted Member

Welcome Peejay. I'm wondering how long you could make a set of strings last if you had a good ball of twine in your gigbag? The way I play there probably wouldn't be any noticeable deterioration in sound quality ... :)

David

Posted : 11/09/2007 8:32 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN!

Posted : 11/09/2007 9:39 pm
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

Welcome to GN, Peejay.

Looking forward to seeing you round the forums.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

Posted : 16/09/2007 5:20 am
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN!

#4491....

Posted : 13/11/2007 2:42 pm