Clear all

New member and beginner guitarist

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@oliver-85)
Topic starter

Hello Guys and girls,

Just thought Id post a message to say a quick hello, my name is Oliver and I live near london in a sleepy little village :?

I recently bought a squire strat to learn on as I got it for £120, one day I may buy a fender strat but that will have to wait.
My style of music ranges from hendrix, queen, dire straits & roxy music. I grew up in the 90's and only played the piano, shy little kid :shock:. Then at 24, I thought lets buy a guitar before the house and have fun!!!!!! I have not read sheet music for 14 years, lots to learn again.

Any advise other than practice?
Thanks

Oliver

Posted : 13/07/2009 8:32 pm
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Welcome Oliver!

Advice? Enjoy your youth. Born in '85, now 24 eh?

Write a lot, ask questions, go to gigs, hang with guitar players and get a feel for live music.

Then, if you want to re-do your music tablature and reading, take lessons after you've had fun with simple chords and strumming. :D

Then, you got to learn scales, something I haven't done yet, though I have a son your age who's been through it all and out the other side. :shock: :lol:

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

Posted : 13/07/2009 10:08 pm
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Weicome to GN!

#4491....

Posted : 14/07/2009 8:30 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Welcome aboard Oliver! 8)

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 14/07/2009 10:06 am
(@oliver-85)
Topic starter

Thanks guys, just waiting for my housemate to bring his amp back from his parents, he is giving it to me for nothing too!!!! :D
I bought the lead though, it was only a budget one to start with then ill get a decent one.

Posted : 14/07/2009 7:30 pm