Notifications
Clear all

Newbe girl - beginner

20 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@girl_loves_vintage)
Topic starter

I'm a very beginner player. I have been teaching myself to play for about 3 months now and am completely addicted! Also, I quickly developed a love for vintage acoustic guitars and I now have a collection of 2. My first purchase was a 1979 Guild D25M - dark mahogany-sounds amazing-looks amazing. I started learning on the Guild, but soon realized that it didn't fit my body too well (I'm 5' 7"-but cursed with large breasts) and the big dreadnought was too cumbersome for learning. Recently I was fortunate enough to purchase a 1956 Martin 0-18 in excellent condition -all original, no neck reset. This guitar fits me perfectly, plays like a dream and offers a full sound not unlike the big Guild. This Martin has inspired me to practice more -as it is far more comfortable and manageable. I still love my Guild and hope to one day play it as comfortably as this Martin.
I would love to post photos of my vintages - but I'm uncertain if that's acceptable here.....

I'm an old "deadhead" and jerry garcia is boss! I would like to play folk/bluegrass/fingerpicking style and I aspire to play lead. Lead is most appealing as I'm an experienced lead, solo, trumpet/soprano player alumni of a professional drum & bugle corps. I have already seen how this past experience has accelerated my learning and focus. I feel very fortunate to already have music theory and music reading skills under my belt -- like I have a slight advantage -- and I'm picking up Tableture rapidly. I am confident that I will reach my musical goals with the support of a network of players like those here at guitarnoise.com

At this point I'm heavily researching anything and everything related to learning to play and becoming acquainted with guitar makers; their history; models and numbers produced; reviews by players and anything else I come across interesting. You could say that I have really jumped into this new world running - and I love it! I am most excited to have found a forum that provides a gathering place for women players to discuss our unique insights and obstacles. I'm learning that female players are a minority by comparison, but now there's a place where I feel I can relate more and talk more freely about certain subjects - thanks. Yeah - Girls unite!!

So I appreciate any info, tips, lessons, reading materials, songs, web sites and personal experiences that anyone wants to share with me - I'm a "sponge". I look forward to becoming a part of this community......

1979 Guild D25M
1956 Martin 0-18

Posted : 08/09/2008 3:03 pm
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

Welcome aboard :)
Great guitars - of course we need to see pictures of them :D

lars

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

Posted : 08/09/2008 3:30 pm
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Welcome !

You have come to the right place. :D

Check out lessons at http://www.guitar.about.com .

We do have a woman specific forum here - The Other Side.

And feel free to ask any questions you have. We will be more than happy to answer any of them.

Posted : 08/09/2008 3:32 pm
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN!
I'm also one of "Jerrys' Kids"

#4491....

Posted : 08/09/2008 4:47 pm
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Hiya! Welcome to GN. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Posted : 08/09/2008 7:02 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Welcome to Guitar Noise, Girl_loves_vintage! We look forward to seeing you around the forums! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 08/09/2008 9:21 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Welcome aboard! 8) FYI - We all love pics of any type of guitar related gear - guitars, amps, effects, cables, picks, strings, whatever! :wink: :P

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 08/09/2008 9:23 pm
(@girl_loves_vintage)
Topic starter

Thanks for all the warm welcomes! I want to post photos - but I don't know how. I'd also like to use my own image as my avatar...... can anyone tell me how to do it?

1979 Guild D25M
1956 Martin 0-18

Posted : 08/09/2008 10:10 pm
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Thanks for all the warm welcomes! I want to post photos - but I don't know how. I'd also like to use my own image as my avatar...... can anyone tell me how to do it?
OK, posting photos first.
You'll need to upload your photos to your website. If you don't have a website, you can establish an account on a website like Photobucket.com and upload your photos there (you can also upload videos there). Your photo will have an Img web address which you need to copy (you'll see Img as one of the options in the editor when you are posting here). When you post, click on Img button and paste your photos Img web address .

OK, now changing your avatar to your photo.
You'll need to resize your photo so that it is 80 pixels by 80 pixels. A program that you can use is Microsoft's Picture Manager which comes with Windows. Upload it to your website, copy the photos web image location (address), go to your User Control Panel here on GuitarNoise, Click on your Profile, click on Edit Avatar and paste your photos image location address into your avatar's address.

Whew! Aren't you glad you asked? Sounds pretty complicated huh?

Welcome to GN, Newbie.

KR2

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 08/09/2008 10:32 pm
(@girl_loves_vintage)
Topic starter

Excellent instructions! Thank you! I think I can do this! I am gonna try right now - hopefully photos will be posted real soon.....

1979 Guild D25M
1956 Martin 0-18

Posted : 09/09/2008 12:47 am
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Good luck doing that. Took me about 900 attempts before I got it right!

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Posted : 09/09/2008 1:00 am
(@girl_loves_vintage)
Topic starter

I hope this works.....

Big, dark one = 1979 Guild D25M
Small, light one = 1956 Martin 0-18

1979 Guild D25M
1956 Martin 0-18

Posted : 09/09/2008 1:44 am
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

Beautiful guitars!! You have to speed up the learning process - these deserve to be played! :D

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

Posted : 09/09/2008 6:00 am
(@xylembassguitar)
Trusted Member

Those are some really nice guitars you have there girl_loves_vintage! Do they have their own carseats and places at the table?

See you around the forum!

Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars

Posted : 09/09/2008 2:29 pm
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Yep that's a lovely pair of guitars.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 09/09/2008 8:29 pm
Page 1 / 2