Newbie from Norway

15 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@hobbypicker)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Hi! :D
I'm a 42 year old farmer (dairy cows and sheep) from Snåsa in the middle part of Norway. I learned my first chords and a little fingerpicking on our house guitar at about 14, but got no further in playing until about 10 years later when I bought my first guitar, a cheap nylonstring that broke after about a year. When looking for something to replace it I fell completely in love with an Ovation 1619-4 Custom Legend from -75 that's been with me ever since. Some years ago I bought an electric DeArmond M75T, and this spring a Yamaha FG-412-12 (currently waiting for a new bone nut and saddle). In addition the woman I live with has a Yamaha CG-100-A which completes the stack of guitars. I also own an old Fender Sidekick and a Digitech RP 50 multieffect unit, and I've got Kristal Audio Engine and Audacity on my computer for recording.
I'm not a very advanced player, for many years I played a few songs accompanied with cowboy chords and fingerpicking, but the last year I've started to work to get to learn the instrument better. I've got some books to learn rythm guitar, Travis picking and the guitar fretboard. I also use the net to learn new songs, and got here via David Hodges lessons, which I find are very good! :D
My stiff farmer fingers and only average musical talents are my limitations, but I really enjoy playing, and feel that I still can improve, though I really wish I had the resources I have available today when I first picked up the guitar.
I play mostly acoustic fingerstyle stuff and some Dylan, Vreeswijk and Tom Waits songs have been among my favourites.

Posted : 29/12/2006 10:59 am
(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

welcome to the party :lol:

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

Posted : 29/12/2006 11:18 am
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

My kids would love you.. they like Tom Waits ALOT. Welcome to GN and you need to come down to the online collab section and use some of your recording stuff. Its a ton of fun.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 29/12/2006 11:27 am
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Welcome!

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

Posted : 29/12/2006 11:42 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Welcome aboard! 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 29/12/2006 12:06 pm
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Welcome Cowboy.How are the cows doing these days ?

Posted : 29/12/2006 12:26 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN. Nice collection of musical gear, it appears.

Since you can record onto your computer, come join us for some Online Collaborations.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 29/12/2006 1:03 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN! :)

Posted : 29/12/2006 1:04 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Welcome to GuitarNoise!! We look forward to seeing you around the forums! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 30/12/2006 12:53 am
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

Welcome to GN.

See you round the boards.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

Posted : 02/01/2007 11:45 am
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN!

#4491....

Posted : 03/01/2007 1:37 am
(@shahdhch)

Welcome

Posted : 03/01/2007 1:58 am
(@doc-gliss)
Eminent Member

Nice to meet you! I know nothing about farming, but I did get to play a live manger scene one Christmas, complete with a cow breathing down the back of my neck. It was the only source of heat out there..brrr. :wink:

If the dude woke up this mornin', he's playin'.

Posted : 03/01/2007 11:01 am
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Your post made me think of a little story.

My boss, we are in the IT business, works as a rancher on the side. He and I were on a business trip in Zurich and we were staying at a pretty neat hotel but it was located right next door to what seemed to be a small dairy farm. One morning when we walked outside the aroma of cow was very much present. Gary, my boss, took a deep breath and said, "mmm Smells like money!" That was several years ago and I still giggle when I think about it.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 03/01/2007 11:13 am
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

Yet another norwegian - great! and Dylan, Cornelis and Tom Waits - great too! Sounds like we could've had a great jam session :-)

Welcome then!

lars

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

Posted : 04/01/2007 10:13 pm