Clear all

Starting at 50!

12 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@georgemoe)
Topic starter

Hi all,

Brand new here and wanted to offer a hello to all and brief introduction. I'm George and live in Massachusetts. Two weeks ago I turned 50 and after many poor attempts at trying to learn guitar during my lifetime, I'm ready to finally give it another go. I'm not really sure how someone born in 59, growing up with all kinds of great music, would be lost on it's influence to learn. :?

In my 20's I helped schlep gear for friends in bands, ran sound for a few, even went up on stage and sang a few. I had lots of fun but learning seemed so daunting to me. Too many distractions, poor practice habits, little patience, too many 12 ounce curls. :lol:

My lovely wife has been after me for years to get rid of the two acoustics I currently own because they have been in cases sitting ignored. But I have been disregarding her because I carried the thought and hope that when I turned 50 (or at some point in my life), it would be time to re-engage. Well that time is now!

I'm not sure how I landed here, but two weeks ago I found this wonderful site and along my new journey, I'll stray no further. Why? One of my problems is to much planning/research and not enough doing. It plagued my previous attempts to learn and I swear this is the one big thing I need to protect against. FOCUS :!: It's all I need.

So right now in my possesion I have a Takamine G-240, and a Seagull S6 Mahogany Spruce. The S6 was obtained during one of my many distractions "planning" for my 2nd guitar a few years ago. (I have been cured of my eBay addiction. Or at least I lead my self to believe this.) I have a bunch of assorted used and new pics given to me by friends. I have two guitar stands and a Korg tuner. And the most important item is I have now is this site, David, and the other contributors here to help me get started again. I have found the Master List and plan to progress through it slowly.

If you happen to pass around BeginnerVille next time you stop around here, wave hello. I'll wave back but if I appear to not engage in banter don't worry. I'm not be unfriendly. I'm just practicing. :)

- George

Posted : 10/07/2009 8:36 pm
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN!

#4491....

Posted : 11/07/2009 2:34 am
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Good story George. Has the guitars, the wife, the drama and desire! And 1959 was a very good year. Welcome aboard. :D

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

Posted : 11/07/2009 6:18 pm
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

Hi all,

Brand new here and wanted to offer a hello to all and brief introduction. I'm George and live in Massachusetts. Two weeks ago I turned 50 and after many poor attempts at trying to learn guitar during my lifetime, I'm ready to finally give it another go. I'm not really sure how someone born in 59, growing up with all kinds of great music, would be lost on it's influence to learn. :? ...

Hey George, welcome. I'm almost 52 and started learning again a year and a half ago after a few failed attempts over the past 20-30 years. You'll learn what you want to learn, no matter what the musical genre. I think it comes a little harder and slower for us fine aged and mellowed guys (not old, not old) :lol: than it does for the younger crowd, especially kids who have a lot more time to practice and play once their homework is done. My teacher agrees. There are weeks when I go in and say "I haven't practiced a darn thing all week". He says that's OK because I have other things going on at my age. So we sit and I pick his brain and I still learn something.
My lovely wife has been after me for years to get rid of the two acoustics I currently own because they have been in cases sitting ignored. But I have been disregarding her because I carried the thought and hope that when I turned 50 (or at some point in my life), it would be time to re-engage. Well that time is now!

Years ago I considered selling my 6 and 12 string acoustics to a friend, but I thought better of it and said no. I'm glad I kept them. I'm slowly graduating to better geetars. I have a Seagull Maritime SWS 6 string and I love it. I'm leaning towards the Seagull Coastal Cedar 12 string to replace my 20 year old plywood Gibson Epiphone. I hear Seagulls are really wonderful.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

Posted : 12/07/2009 12:24 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Welcome aboard! 8)

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 12/07/2009 1:33 pm
(@powderman777)

Hey Buddy,

I played drums for many years then strayed from music while I raised the family. I started playing guitar when I was 52 - a couple of years back. Learning goes a little slower at this age - but with time it starts to come together.

Good Luck To You

The Powderman

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=933265

Posted : 12/07/2009 7:59 pm
(@alangreen)

And I had a student start lessons in his 60s after 40 years singing in bands and yelling instructions at guitarists (probably along the lines of "can't you play that [...] thing?") - many of the contributors here will remember me talking about sausage-fingered Mick - so you're almost a youngster.

Welcome to the party. We think you'll like it here.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 13/07/2009 10:32 am
(@georgemoe)
Topic starter

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I'm glad there are others out there at my age taking up guitar. I was expecting no less.

I'm still practicing some of the early beginneer things from this site. Callus is building on my finger tips pretty well. They are pretty sore but it has not stopped my practice. Last week I tried to find some good printable guitar scale charts online. I had a hard time finding things worth printing. So I made my own.

Time for some practice! ;)

- George

Posted : 21/07/2009 1:24 am
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Welcome to Guitar Noise, Guitar George! (He knows all the chords.) We look forward to seeing you around the forums! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 21/07/2009 2:59 pm
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

. . . well, as Trev says . . .
better alive and late then dead on time . . . (or something like that). :?

Welcome to GN.

(started at 55)

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 21/07/2009 3:09 pm
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member

Welcome to Guitar Noise, Guitar George! (He knows all the chords.) We look forward to seeing you around the forums! :D
HAH DIre Straits xD, Sultans of The swing

OK, welcome mate ^^

I wanna be that guy that you wish you were ! ( i wish I were that guy)

You gotta set your sights high to get high!

Everyone is a teacher when you are looking to learn.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

Posted : 21/07/2009 8:55 pm
(@georgemoe)
Topic starter

Thanks again (so I can get in my 5th post.) :)

- George

Posted : 22/07/2009 3:01 pm