Stri - Friendly Place

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 Stri
(@stri)
Topic starter

Hi guys,

About me. I'm 34, I'm from the UK and I love, well all sorts of stuff.

I've been playing for a few years. I can play simple open chords, some decent rhythm and some pretty decent finger picking too. I'm here though because I did a google search on 'friendly guitar forum' or some such thing and it brought me here. I feel with a few well placed pointers I should be off in the right direction. I don't believe for one second I lack the competence to learn as I can stretch my fingers across multiple frets and once I get into the learning process and feel I'm making progress I don't put the guitar down.

So that's my objective, to learn lead.

I need some good suggestions. Some nice easy stuff to give me some confidence to get really start hammering the practice like I did with chords and picking. It's a bit of a mountain for me this, a personal milestone but I want to conquer it. As such I'm going to place some of my favourite bands below and hopefully you guys can post some good suggestions. I don't have a preference on style. As you can see below I have taste that spans several genres.

However if you're explaining please be patient with me. I'm not an especially quick learner.

Here are some of my favourite bands and musicians. Thanks for reading.

Stevie Wonder, Queen, Bob Dylan, Mozart, Black Crowes, Rachmaninov, Vivaldi, Bruch, Beethoven, Eminem, Johhny Cash, Led Zepplin, Joni Mitchell, Massive Attack, PJ Harvey, Pink Flloyd, R.E.M, Radiohead, Paul Simon, Simon & Garfunkel, The Smiths, The Who, James Taylor, Steve Earle, Jose Gonzalez, Curtis Mayfield, James Brown, Aretha Franklin, Dionne warrick, Oasis, Stone Roses, Bill withers, Beuna Vista Social Club, Tenacious D, Snow Patrol, Jeff Buckley

Posted : 06/04/2010 10:37 pm
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Howdy Stri. You've come to the right place. If you're looking for pointers I would suggest looking in the Easy Songs database or Intermeadiate Songs. They both have tons of great info. Looking at some of your fav bands, I'm happy to see you are a Black Crowes fan! I love them too.

Looking forward to seeing you on the forum.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Posted : 07/04/2010 5:46 am
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Hi - welcome. :D

You can really enjoy guitar, and keep busy, with such a wide variety of influences or interests. 8)

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

Posted : 07/04/2010 12:05 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Welcome aboard! 8)

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 07/04/2010 7:14 pm
 Stri
(@stri)
Topic starter

Thanks guys.

Posted : 07/04/2010 11:16 pm