Skip to content
Very very new bass ...

Notifications
Clear all

Very very new bass newbie from down under.

22 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@stang)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hi all,
Just got a fairly cheap Bass for learning. Managed to tune it using my daughters tuner (she is a very good lead guitar player (and she is only 12).

Have decided that I will play the bass if it kills me.

Have a sore left hand after my first lesson (next time will take watch off). Finding my hands are not (and have never been) that flexible.

Looking forward to the months ahead - after reading some of the comments in the forum, I think I am in the right place.

Live in Sydney and if anyone wants to talk a newbie thru some basics (the obvious stuff you cannot ever find out because it is so obvious), please give me a shout

stan underscore gifford at iinet dot net dot au

Stan

Posted : 02/02/2007 10:55 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Hi Stan, welcome to GN! You should pick up a copy of Dave's bass book. It'll do wonders for you! 8)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1592573118?ie=UTF8&tag=theonlineguitarc&link_code=as3&camp=211189&creative=373489&creativeASIN=1592573118

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 02/02/2007 11:07 am
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Welcome! I got bit by the bass bug awhile back. Several talented bassists here, plus lots more who play both guitar and bass. Anything you want to ask, just feel free!

Best regards.

Posted : 02/02/2007 12:08 pm
(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

welcome to the club :lol:

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

Posted : 02/02/2007 12:11 pm
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Welcome Stang!

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

Posted : 02/02/2007 12:11 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN, Stang! :D

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 02/02/2007 12:18 pm
(@denny)
Reputable Member

Hi Stan, welcome.

Posted : 02/02/2007 1:55 pm
(@satchmo)
Trusted Member

welcome dudey

Posted : 02/02/2007 5:16 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Welcome to GuitarNoise, Stang! We look forward to seeing you around the forums! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 02/02/2007 5:46 pm
(@stang)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thanx for the welcome guys.

Looking locally for David's book!

(Are you sure you guys know what a rank beginner I am?)

Stan

Posted : 02/02/2007 7:48 pm
(@davidhodge)

(Are you sure you guys know what a rank beginner I am?)

Having all been rank beginners at one point in our lives, I think we can relate! :wink: Seriously, this is a great place to ask questions and get answers and you might be surprised in how short a time you're the one answering someone else's questions!

Welcome to Guitar Noise, sir! Looking forward to seeing you on the boards.

Peace

Posted : 02/02/2007 8:35 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to GN, Stan! I'm mainly a rhythm guitarist, but these days I'm finding bass take up a lot more of my time - such a cool/fun instrument. Starting from scratch, so to speak, there'll be times you'll feel SO frustrated - but when it starts coming together, wow, what a buzz!

Look forward to seeiing you in Bass Players forum - There are some excellent bass players on this site, full of good advice, always willingly given....got questions? Ask away.....

(Plenty of Aussies on this site as well - including one in particular who I won't name who's REALLY enjoying the fact your lads are busy humiliating our lads on the cricket pitch at the moment.....can't blame him really, we English had it coming after last summer.....)

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 02/02/2007 9:53 pm
(@stang)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thanx Vic - although what happened yesterday - the poms got up - and you know what is really funny - most of the english fans sold their tickets for a pittance because they could not face seeing another defeat!

Stan

BTW (Perhaps I should post this in the Bass forum - but some of the newbie stuff I was refering to are so basic you would laugh - things like 'where do you strum' (between the pickups? - what is the best way to hold guitar - strap length etc) - really really basic.

Maybe once I have learned, I will put together a bass faq - although I hope there is one out there :-)

All the best (again)

Stan

Posted : 02/02/2007 10:23 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

"Maybe once I have learned, I will put together a bass faq - although I hope there is one out there...." - if there isn't, there should be!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 02/02/2007 10:39 pm
(@stang)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Actually the first entry in any BASS FAQ should be - how to lengthen short stubby fingers!

:lol:

Stan

Posted : 02/02/2007 10:46 pm
Page 1 / 2