2/14/04 GN Seminar at Dave's was Great!

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
 jane
(@jane)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

For all who were interested the first seminar was a lot of fun and a lot was learned. Five people showed up at Dave's and, by the way, the view out the window was spectacular!

I have a suggestion for the people who were there. I realized when I got home that the concept of hammering onto the notes of a chord was something that I was already familiar with through some songs that I've learned with my teacher.

So if you're interested: Lonely Ol Night by John Cougar Mellencamp hammers onto the A note on the G String to make the E chord into the Esus chord. So does the song Killing the Blues by Shawn Colvin.

Honky tonk woman by the Rolling Stones hammers onto the F note on the D string to make the C chord into the Csus4 chord. That song also hammers onto the G note on the E string to make the D chord into the Dsus4 chord. The hammer on'd chord is on an upstroke.

Downbound Train by Bruce Springsteen hammers onto the G note on the E string to make the D chord into the Dsus4 chord.

We did a little bit on slides when someone asked about it. the song Just a Song Before I Go by Crosby Stills and Nash has a simple slide from the a minor chord up to the fifth fret to make it into an a13th chord.

If anyone wants these songs, e-mail me.

jane

formerly "new writer" until someone said they didn't like my name

Posted : 22/02/2004 11:47 pm
(@laoch)
Estimable Member

I was also at the seminar and had a great time.  It was good to meet David and several other GN readers/participants.  It was a fun day of learning and playing with others.  David was a gracious host and he even makes a decent pizza  :D
I wish I had taken more notes but I'll try to post more details if I get time.

Ed

"The details of my life are quite inconsequential." - Dr. Evil

Posted : 24/02/2004 5:10 pm
(@samhall)

me too. I made it to the seminar and also enjoyed it. I picked up a lot of tips to practice and the pizza really was good. I remember reading somewhere that David was the same in person as he comes across in his writing, and he really was. I kinda felt as if I already knew him. An in person lesson is worth the while if you ever get the chance. The other GN students were also very easy to spend the day with. Thanks again to all.
Doug

Posted : 24/02/2004 6:56 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I can't vouch for the seminar, but I can tell you the pizza is very good.

;D

Posted : 24/02/2004 9:05 pm
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Yea, Dave's a pretty good cook.  I guess he did not graduate from Microwave University where I got my master's and Ph.D.  The only time I've ever (yea, ever) used the oven in the past 4 years is to make pizza.  And only the first time.  After that, all leftovers go in the microwave.  Maybe I should use my oven for storage.

Glad to hear y'all dug the seminar.  I think the in-your-face-up-in-person lessons beat anything else.  You get to see what's going on and it make sit better that way.  I think it would be good to have a video camera to tape the whole thing so the students could have something to reference.  Like "oh man, I remember something about E5 at the 7th fret but I don't recall.  Good think I taped it.  I'll buzz through the tape and find that part."

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

Posted : 24/02/2004 9:54 pm