Clear all

A post I made almost two years ago...

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@corbind)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Every once in anwhile I come across things I typed about guitar and I somewhat laugh at myself because so many of the problems I had have since disappeared. A few months back I came across a post I made when I had all of 4 months practice. This post was from almost 2 years ago (Dec '02).

"At times, practicing can be a drag. No, I don't mean playing songs you already know and have done zillions of times, but learning something brand new. The slow learning curve for picking up new songs, chords, or scales makes for many, many a long night. I suppose another thing that is getting me down is that I've been doing this stuff awhile now and find it boring to play alone. I get more fun playing songs that I know along with the CD because at least it seems like there is more than just me in that room and it seems like I'm “making” music.

So then a couple of nights ago I thought about advertising (not sure in what fashion/way yet) to see if any other local guitarists out there want to get together and play/practice some songs together. Kinda like having your buddies over and just sitting around and trying to get something together to have fun.

I have friends who have been in their band for a long time now and they get together every Thursday night to practice their all original songs and I go there weekly for many reasons. I get to see how the drums, bass, rhythm guitar, lead, and keys all get together and how they interact. Each time I learn some guitar tricks or things I never noticed before so that is always cool. Even though the drummer and bass player always ask “when you gonna start playin' with us,” I laugh and always tell them in about 10 years. How is a guy who's been at it for 8 months gonna do squat with/for guys who have played for 12 years, done countless gigs, and put out 3 CDs?

They've been recording their next CD for the past six weeks so they need the parts to be perfect. Quite a tedious process. I've contemplated possibly joining them on a song (Lord knows not on a recording night) if I get all the chords written out and practice it a bunch at home first so that I'd be pretty close. I think I've heard from y'all to try to get out there just for the experience even if you're not quite ready. Well, I'm one of those guys who hates to be unprepared and I HATE to make mistakes or be embarrassed. The worst case scenario is me making many mistakes in a song and the guys giving me “the eye” and thinking “why the heck did we let you play and mess up our song?”

Once a month or so I go out to my brother's place on a Saturday night and we mess around in his garage. He plays the bass and I tell him what chords I'm going to play and he just hits the single notes. He has a wife and three kids so he does not have the time to learn more than he did a decade ago on that bass. So I kinda play things I know and he follows for a bit then picks it up very quickly and then it sounds great! The sheer joy/excitement I get when I hear his deep bass coupled with my chords. You know how it is. You are used to hearing your own sound constantly and can identify your sounds, but couple that with a bass and it is so dog-gone cool! It may be a two-hour round trip drive, but wee both enjoy it.

Hmmm, I'm starting to think I'm picking up some “long-winded” typing habits but I suppose I'm about done. So I guess I have a few questions. Have any of you ever placed an ad in any way to further your practice/play? Did you get another guitar player, bassist, or drummer to jam with? Would it be beneficial to jam along with another rhythm player (yea, I'm not a great picker) or lead guy? Or would if be better to donate my SG to someone who has better people skills? Just kidding. If anyone out there has any suggestions, comments, or personal stories please let me know. I know many of you have traveled this road."

So knowing most of these questions/problems have passed, I have to laugh at my current problems knowing they'll be gone another 2 years from now. Ah, life's experience! :D

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

Posted : 19/10/2004 6:26 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Another archive from the vault of DC. Dennis, I think you've been putting way to much time and effort into this crazy guitar playing hobby that you have.

I think you should stop playing and settle down...maybe get a wife or something...

And you won't need a guitar anymore so you can pack up that SG and send it to me.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 19/10/2004 6:32 pm
(@corbind)
Noble Member
Topic starter

LOL! To be honest, I still suck at guitar and I know it. Years from now, I'll get more down. I'm still a student for sure. I just got back from band practice. Well, it ended at 9:45pm but I hung with the lead guitarist for hours to try to maybe get some new tunes in the mix. So I've tipped a few beers for sure after practice was done. Heck, I have one now at 1:50am!

Nevertheless, yea, I need to get a life. A wife? Hmmm, had one for 7 years and she was great until she turned into the C# diminished type. Everyone changes. But, instead of a wife, maybe a steady girlfriend (who plays bass) will do!

I still was amazed at what I typed up almost 2 years ago. That's why I posted it. I think it gives us all some realization that we all progress and that our worst nightmare (like my ex, just kiddin') will vaporize.

On a side note, I'm so pleased how band practice went tonight. I played, BY FAR, the worst in last week in the whole time I've played with ‘em. I dwelled on that for a week and was even hesitant to go this week. But practice was GREAT! I even got compliments from the bass player and that other guitarist. That will be in another post.

Okay, I got it down. Chris, if you get me a good gal'friend, I'll mail you my SG!

:shock:

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

Posted : 20/10/2004 6:00 am
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Okay, I got it down. Chris, if you get me a good gal'friend, I'll mail you my SG!
:shock:

You obviously drank to much and need to get some sleep. :P

Posted : 23/10/2004 10:43 pm
(@corbind)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Yea, I've been known to tip many-a-beer in my later years. Still, I would mail my SG for a good gal. Even then, after about a week I'd have to go out and buy a new guitar because it would kill me not to play! :shock:

Posted : 23/10/2004 11:09 pm
(@corbind)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Yea, not to play. I turned over my SG to the guitar tech at 3rd Coast (a Chicago outfit) Wednesday night and by 10:30pm I was listening to cds and drumming beats with two pens in my hand. Yea, it's that bad. That was the first night of me not playing for about a year. And, a year ago I didn't play because I was so sick. I left work, got home, and went right to bed!

Still, it killed me not playing Thursday night. It sucked. Fortunately tonight I was able to practice with my buddies and one guy let me play his Squire Strat. I had a really, really hard time playing it. I'm a SG guy (read: short scale, fat strings, wide fret board, fat neck). The guys laughed at me because they've never seen me play anything but my guitar. To boot, I was in long pants and a polo. I always play with shorts on and a cut-off T-shirt. It was funny, a guy who came tonight had seen me at some parties and said "I didn't recognize you with pants on." Yea, I'm the guy in shorts all seasons.

I'm still freakin' out playing a Strat tonght. I thought it sounded good on the Grateful Dead song called Franklin's Tower. I played it high up as usual and it was decent. For the rest of the songs it sounded way too twangy for me and I could'nt get any meat out of the chords. Oh well, my ears are so tuned to that rough sound. I'll learn. LOL.... :D

Posted : 19/03/2005 7:00 am
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

I know how you feel...I can never seem to get the right tone with a strat. Of course, i'm a 335 guy most of the time.

Posted : 21/04/2005 9:08 pm
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Wow... I must be mentally defective(or just deaf :lol:) because I've hated all the Epi LP's I've played, SG's are a whole lot better, but I just can't get any tone that I really like out of them. :?
But, one thing for certain, I'd pick a LP or a SG anyday over a "Superstrat" or anything like that. I'm a strat guy, plain and simple. Just give me a plain S/S/S strat with a rosewood fretboard and Custom Shop Texas Special pickups and I'm a happy guy (Oop's, make that with a cable and a 5 watt all tube combo) 8)

Stairway to Freebird!

Posted : 29/04/2005 1:00 am