Clear all

A week without music

10 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Just got back yesterday from a week at the beach. There wasn't room in the car for a guitar or bass, so I had to just listen to music all week. The good thing was I found a great classic rock station that played a great variety of music and didn't have commercials every 10 minutes (96.1 The Rocket out of Mobile, AL) and reconnected with some classic rock that I haven't really listened to in a couple of years. Really made me want to play some of it. Since I got back yesterday around 7pm, I've played my bass about 6 out of the 12 hours. My fingers were black from the new strings on my 5 string.

My son and I found a drummer about 5 minutes from our house who is just looking to jam and maybe play out way off in the future. He knows a singer/guitarist, so he's coming out next weekend. I've been learning some stuff to play with them. Got Mustang Sally and Call Me the Breeze (my first successful attempt at learning a Skynyrd song) down. China Grove is kicking my butt cause it is hard. Having a 5 string is a great thing for moving songs around to make them easier to play.

We had a great time in Orange Beach with the whole family. The main purpose of our trip was to get married on the beach. I found a great wife and a keeper. She puts up with my musical adventures!

Bass player for Undercover

Posted : 11/04/2010 11:51 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Way to go man sounds like a home run. funny you should mention Call me the Breeze we were playing that for awhile and it seemed like no one was ever really into. Finally one day I don't remember who in the band but they made a comment does anyone actually like this song, we all looked at each other and said no not really...it got dropped.

As much as I never liked Mustang Sally of all the songs I've ever heard played in bars that has to be the most popular. I just found a book I had that had the song and I've been messing around with it a bit just in case I end up playing it somewhere.

Congrats on the marriage!

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 12/04/2010 10:50 am
(@guitar-mentor)

Congratulations man.
Honestly, for more than 20 years now there hasn't been a single day without playing the guitar for at least 10 minutes. I feel like I'm stuck with it :)

Posted : 12/04/2010 12:14 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

:shock: Congrats on the marraige! I hope this one takes. :)

Call Me the Breeze got over-played something fierce. I think it's in my LS songbook, but I've got no interest. Chine Grove, though. I couldn't get anywhere near that one when I tried. It's been a good long time, though.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 12/04/2010 9:55 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Oh yeah, Regarding music and tight packing arrangements. 1 word. Uke! Man, there ain't no way you can't feel relaxed playing one of them. 8)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 13/04/2010 2:36 am
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Oh yeah, Regarding music and tight packing arrangements. 1 word. Uke! Man, there ain't no way you can't feel relaxed playing one of them. 8)
+1....Going on vacation next month...it's coming with me :D

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 13/04/2010 3:05 am
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member
Topic starter

:shock: Congrats on the marraige! I hope this one takes. :)

We're going with the 3rd time is a charm theory :D
Call Me the Breeze got over-played something fierce. I think it's in my LS songbook, but I've got no interest. Chine Grove, though. I couldn't get anywhere near that one when I tried. It's been a good long time, though.

It's a pretty fun bass line to play. It is over played, but around here, there are bars that you could play 6 Skynyrd songs over and over again for 3 hours and the crowd would love it.

Posted : 13/04/2010 3:15 am
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member
Topic starter

As much as I never liked Mustang Sally of all the songs I've ever heard played in bars that has to be the most popular. I just found a book I had that had the song and I've been messing around with it a bit just in case I end up playing it somewhere.

Congrats on the marriage!

Thanks!

I don't really like the song, but it's one of those you just have to know. I practiced it enough to get it down, now I only have to play it if someone requests it (which I understand *will* happen)

Posted : 13/04/2010 3:17 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I'll most certainly not get into a band anytime soon, so I hope to never have to learn Mustang Sally. It is mega-popular here. Every single band covers it. It's like some sort of secret ritual the counsel of elders decided upon during the time of our father's, fathers. I even saw a band playing Sinatra and Bennett type covers and decided to spice it up. Yup. Mustang Sally. I still have rope burn from the failed suicide. Pesky wife. :evil:

Roy

Posted : 13/04/2010 9:54 am
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Congrats on the wedding! So happy to hear that she is a keeper. Although, you have to do your part too you know! :lol:
A wedding on the beach?? Aw- what a romantic you are!!! Sounded like a great time bro. Cheers!

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Posted : 15/04/2010 3:30 am