Notifications
Clear all

Alan Green - concert review

11 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@alangreen)
Topic starter

Well, a massive audience of 24 turned up for my first solo concert of 2010. They came, they stayed awake and they clapped.

The Set list was:

Romanza - Anon
Air on the G String - Bach
Andante from Concerto for two mandolins RV532 - Vivaldi
Clair de Lune - Debussey
Lord Willoughy's Welcome Home/ Melancholy Galliard - John Dowland
Seascape Suite - Hart
Fields of Green - Jasper Smith
My heart will go on - Jennings & Horner (yep, the Sealion Dying song from Titanic)
Everything I do - Bryan Adams (yes, the Robin Hood song)
Pasodoblillo/ Bolero - Bartolome Calatuyud
Habanera from Carmen - Bizet
Capricho Arabe - Tarrega
Classical Gas - Mason Williams

Encores: Montemayor and Alba de Tormes from Castles of Spain - Moreno-Torroba

And I'm sure I heard someone "la-la-la-ing" along to the famous stuff.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 11/01/2010 3:15 pm
(@rik-anderson)
Estimable Member

Where were you playing Alan?

The only thing that keeps me from realising my full potential is the depressing awareness that it wouldn't take much time or effort...

Posted : 11/01/2010 4:11 pm
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I take it that you lit a cigar for the Air on a G string. :D

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 11/01/2010 4:17 pm
(@alangreen)
Topic starter

I did talk about that cigar advert when I introduced it.

Today's gig was in The Orangery at The Old Deanery - a retirement village 15 minutes down the road from me. With a bit of luck, they'll have me back.

I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 11/01/2010 4:56 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Air on the G String, is that kinda like Smoke On The Water?

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 11/01/2010 5:13 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

That's a great set list!!

I would have loved to hear the Bryan Adams tune, and I really enjoy Lord Willoughby's Welcome Home....did happen to get a recording of it did you? :D

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 12/01/2010 8:49 am
(@alangreen)
Topic starter

Didn't want to load up on the pressure for the first run out with the new set list so I didn't record any of it, and I'm presenting the same set at another retirement home this afternoon so by the end of the day I should have a good idea of how well it's shaking down. One of my students has a studio in his shed, so recording is definitely on the cards for this year.

Recording is doubly on the cards actually, the Cambridge Guitar Orchestra is recording this year at Weston Church, near Hitchin in Herts in the UK, and the dates are booked; so I'm part of that too.

Posted : 12/01/2010 9:21 am
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Very nice selection. I'l like to be in one of your concerts, I have listened some of those tunes practically all my life.

Congrats :D

Posted : 13/01/2010 12:58 pm
(@violet-s)
Reputable Member

That's really great Alan, I'll keep a watch for your recordings,
best wishes! :D

Posted : 16/01/2010 9:57 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Dude, that sounds so much better than IB. Of course, IB is sounding good to me right now. Perspectives. I digress. Congrats on your performance and I hope many more. My playing for the older folks is on hold for a little while as I try to get more dependable. All good things come in time. However, it won't be to your depths of talent. We're talking sing-a-longs here. Maybe a few years..... :D

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 16/01/2010 12:56 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

That's great Alan congrats!!!

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 23/01/2010 6:56 am