Another bluesman bites the dust

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@stormymonday)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown dead at 81.
Brown, who had been battling lung cancer and heart disease, was a versatile jazz and blues artist whose career took off in the 1940s.

The musician was "devastated " after his home in Slidell, Louisiana was destroyed by Hurricane Katrina.

"I'm sure he was heartbroken, both literally and figuratively," said his booking agent Rick Cady.

"He evacuated successfully before the hurricane hit, but I'm sure it weighed heavily on his soul."

Full story

A lot of bluesmen leaving us lately...

Posted : 11/09/2005 4:34 pm
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

dammit! Another legend gone. not been a good week for us blues folks. :( :cry:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

Posted : 11/09/2005 5:11 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, I'm sorry to hear of it. Knew he'd been quite ill for some time.

I got to know Gatemouth through appearances on country music TV shows in the '70s and '80s. He was very good, and obviously well respected by the other Nashville musicians. He played blues, but apparently didn't want to be known as a bluesman, he had wider musical interests than just blues. (As, truthfully, many famous "bluesmen" have had.)

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 11/09/2005 6:22 pm
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

R.I.P.

#4491....

Posted : 11/09/2005 9:22 pm
(@sergioremon)
Eminent Member

wow, this is a shocker for me, I just disovered Gatemouth for myself when I rented Lightning in a Bottle. I really loved his attitude and personallity and of course, I loved his playing. Who else died?

Posted : 28/09/2005 6:53 pm
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

wow, this is a shocker for me, I just disovered Gatemouth for myself when I rented Lightning in a Bottle. I really loved his attitude and personallity and of course, I loved his playing. Who else died?

R.L. Burnside died as well. :(

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

Posted : 28/09/2005 7:35 pm
(@bford)
Reputable Member

This may be old information but if not you can listen to a 2 hour tribute to Gatemouth here. Click on archive and I think it is the Sept. 25 show.

http://www.baddogblues.com/listen.htm

Rest in Peace Clarence.

Treat others how you would like to be treated.

Posted : 06/10/2005 3:48 am