Clear all

Another day- Another dollar

12 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Well, Twist of Fate played this last Saturday at the Silverbrook Cafe again. I thought I'd post a brief report.

I got the title from one of our covers, Highway Song by Blackfoot. It goes "Another day, another dollar, after I sing and holler..."

I can relate.

Not too much to say about this one except we did get clear weather for once. But it was cold. The owner asked us to close the door as we were loading into the club, as the Silverbrook Cafe is not heated. Kinda hard to turn a doorknob when you're carrying a heavy speaker.

Second time at a club is always easier. You already know where to go and how to set up, so we got setup quick this time.

The crowd was a little better this time. Not packed at all, but lively. My good buddy Rick Woodburn and his girlfriend Ann were there again. Rick's girlfriend told me she had been waiting all week to hear us again, so that made me feel good.

We were all setup and just waiting for 9 o'clock to come around. I played some CD's through the PA. This is a good way to check out your PA and see how it sounds in the club. I went up to get a beer and several of the patrons asked when we were going to start. I told them 9 o'clock. They said, "Heh, we're ready now, come on and play!"

So, what you gonna do? I told the guys we gotta start early. Gotta make 'em happy. :D

We were better this night than last time, because we finally came down on the volume. It was so much better. You could hear the vocals, and the music had more color. I have always thought that music when it is too loud sounds monotone. Probably because your ears are shutting down to protect themselves. But when you come down, then you can really hear the notes and tone. And during breaks we got lots of compliments. My friend Rick said we were much better this time. And Angela the club owner said so too.

And we even got more dancers up. In fact, we had people dancing most of the night, always a great sign. So clearly they were enjoying the music.

We introduced some new numbers as well. We played Wonderful Tonight the Eric Clapton cover. That went over big and couples got up and danced. We also played You Can't Always Get What You Want by the Stones. They loved this too. I felt good because I actually argued with the band to play that song. They thought it was lame, but I told them people like this song. And when they saw the crowd reaction they had to agree.

So, when you play covers you need to have a sense of what people like. If a song was a big hit, people like it, even if you don't (but I do like this song). And people do not really get bored hearing these songs over again. You can't go wrong with a hit song.

We also winged All Along the Watchtower. Believe it or not, our drummer Jeff had never heard this song. He is the youngest in the band. And we had never practiced it with him, so he was unsure of himself. But as soon as he heard my rhythm guitar to open the song, he fell right into it and did great. So this is going to be added to the setlist.

We were worried that we wouldn't have enough songs starting early, but we made it to 1 o'clock with songs to spare.

So it was a good night. And we got paid the full price this time.

After the show my buddy Rick asked if we would play Silverbrook again for his birthday Dec. 3rd. For sure! We gave him a big break on the price too. He has been a great friend and is responsible for getting us the gig there in the first place.

So, back to the Silverbrook Dec. 3rd. But after that we are gonna take a little break from this club. Don't want to get old to the crowd. Now we are working on getting gigs at several other nice clubs.

That's it.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 14/11/2005 9:27 pm
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Thanks for the report Wes!

Glad to hear you are cutting Rick a good deal! :D

What was your favorite song played?

Was Dom feeling better for the gig?

Oh, glad to hear the band finally took your volume level advise!

Mike

Posted : 14/11/2005 10:04 pm
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

AWesome wes, glad it went well. Love reading about these, keep 'em coming.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

Posted : 14/11/2005 11:39 pm
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Thanks Mike and Taso

Hmmm... My favorite song?

Well, I really enjoyed our new song Wonderful Tonight. I like Rockin' as much as anybody, but I also like beautiful songs with melody as well. This song fits my voice naturally, I think I sing it pretty well. So I enjoyed that.

We play The Wall by Pink Floyd. It is quite different than the original. Lane and I take turns on lead guitar on this one. It came out great. Dom recorded our gig, but discovered after this song his tape recorder didn't work. Not sure of what happened, but it would have been a good recording. We did get most of the gig recorded though.

Probably our worst song was Kryptonite. Lane got lost on that one. He started playing the solo after the 1st verse, got us all mixed up. Dom and I were looking at each other in shock. But we smiled, and just kept going, kinda recovered. We laughed about it later.

Dom was not fully recovered from his bronchitis. He was really huffing and puffing when we were loading our gear. He looked very tired. On stage he was fine, but during breaks he looked bad.

Actually, I got very sick after the gig. I was in terrible shape all day Sunday. I think I had the flu. Bad body ache and had to run to the boy's room 20 times. I am still not 100% today.

I blame these vaccinations. I never get sick. But early last week they came to our shop. About 30 people got flu shots. Great, now you gotta share air with people who have had a disease intentionally introduced into their body.

Anyway, I got no proof. But I'm telling ya, it's a scam. The only reason people get the flu are these shots.

And what the heck is flu season? Give me a break. You mean these flu germs only decide to go out and get people sick at certain times of the year??

Baloney.

No, these shots go out at certain times. And lo and behold, so does the flu. What a coincidence. :roll:

Forgive me for my rant. But I was pretty sick this weekend. I don't get sick. I got 9 perfect attendence awards when I was a kid in school.

It's a conspiracy by the drug industry I tell ya.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 15/11/2005 12:22 am
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Wes,

Where's your show on the 3rd, in Mass? I'll be back up to CT by then and I'd like to go but it would be a haul to go up there on a Friday and have to drive back to New Britain from there at 2:00 in the morning.

Do you have any other shows lined up after that?

Chris

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 17/11/2005 3:15 pm
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Terrific report as always. Hey, I bet there are a few nice clubs here in Norman, Oklahoma you havent played at.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 17/11/2005 3:50 pm
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Chris

Our next gig is at the Silverbrook again on Saturday, Dec. 3rd. It is easy to find. Just hit Rte 8 North into Winsted. The expressway ends there. You have to take a right and go .2 miles west on Rte. 44. Then you take a right back onto Rte 8 North again, but now it is only 2 lane. Anyway, you stay on Rte 8 North for 13 miles until you intersect Rte 57 West in Sandisfield Mass. Take a left and go 1.2 miles. The Silverbrook Cafe is on your left, you can't miss it (there isn't anything else there :D ). But really, it is a very simple drive.

Geoo

I've never been to Oklahoma, but I have a good friend Tony Wright on Scott's PA Tutorial. He taught me lots about running sound. He lives in Stillwater. Is that far from you? If not, you should hook up with him. He plays bass. He has played in many bands. He is a wonderful guy. Leave a message on the message board.

Scott's PA Tutorial

My younger brother went to boot camp at Fort Sills in OK. He told me about the Tarantulas!

Posted : 17/11/2005 8:34 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I'm gonna try and make it up there. But you got to promise me your gonna rock that mutha out!

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 18/11/2005 1:14 pm
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Another Day - Another Dollar - Deeper in Debt 8)

Posted : 18/11/2005 3:24 pm
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

*bump*

Wes is playing tomorrow Saturday Dec 3rd.

I wish I could find a way to make it...

Posted : 02/12/2005 4:37 pm
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Thanks Dan

Yep, Twist of Fate is playing once again at the Silverbrook Cafe Saturday Dec. 3rd. The show starts around 9:00 PM. We have added 4 new songs to our setlist including an original written by yours truly.

Take Rte. 8 north to Winsted Ct. Get off expressway, take a right on Rte. 44 west for .2 mile. Take a right onto Rte. 8 north again (now two lane), go approx. 13 miles till you see Rte. 57 West in Sandisfield, Ma. Take a left, go approx. 1 mile, Silverbrook is on the left, can't miss it.

This show is for my good buddy Rick Woodburn who I worked with for many years. It is his birthday party. There should be a big crowd, it is open to everyone.

So come on out. :D

Posted : 02/12/2005 6:28 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Have a good gig on the 3rd Wes...my Mrs, Marilyn, has a birthday on the 3rd, and what she doesn't know is I wrote a song for her about 3 weeks ago...posted lyrics on the SSG...over the last few days, I've actually recorded it...played lead guitar, rhythm, bass, piano organ and drums (using the keyboard!) myself....

Anyway, I've burned it onto CD for her, designed a cover for it myself and she'll get it tomorrow....I just hope she likes it!!!!

Re Flu jabs....what I was told, although I can't vouch for the accuracy of this, is that you're given a very weak dose of LAST year's flu, and, as Flu is a constantly mutating virus, you won't be protected against this year's particular strain....if you did get flu last year, you'll have developed antibodies anyway, and if you didn't, well, you're introducing it into your system....

I look forward to the next gig report.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 02/12/2005 8:08 pm