Clear all

Another nasty little injury.....

16 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Fortunately, this time, "little" is the important word. Small, but painful.

I was opening a tin of dog food, whilst pulling the ring-pull back somehow the sharp edge of the lid dug into my left-hand (fretting hand) pinkie. As I looked at it, a drop of blood welled up followed by quite a lot more.....stood and stared and thought, "Oh no, not a-*******-gain!

Fortunately, it wasn't deep - managed to stop the bleeding and get a sticky plaster (band-aid) on. It was throbbing like a heavy-metal bass-line - first thought was, "that'll mean no guitar for a few days!"

However, after the initial stinging wore off (after a couple of plasters had soaked through!) it seems the damage wasn't as severe....I managed to get a small thin plaster on, and in a strange way this may have been a blessing in disguise - I found I had to play "proper" barre chords as opposed to having my thumb over the neck most of the time, and I had to be very careful with my little finger placement, especially on E-shaped barres. I've only manage to catch it - and hit the roof - about half-a-dozen times!

Oh well - it seems to be healing nicely. Just took the plaster off to let some air to my finger before I get in bed - it's a little u-shaped cut not much more than 1/4 of an inch long - but what an inconvenient place!

Could have been worse - at least there's nothing broken or needed stitching this time!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 03/08/2007 1:08 am
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

:shock: :shock:

Ouch! I don't think that healing is something that you need any more Practice at Vic. :wink: But I imagine that at least your tetanus shots would be up to date.

If you form a band, may I suggest a name

Bleeding Edge.

8)

Heal quick.

Cheers,

Chris

Posted : 03/08/2007 1:28 am
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Do try to be more careful, Vic!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 03/08/2007 1:53 am
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Do try to be more careful, Vic! :roll: :wink:

#4491....

Posted : 03/08/2007 2:54 am
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

Might I suggest dry dogfood in a large paper bag from now on ? Just kidding , but please try to be more careful in the future . Although there have been many great guitarists with less than the full complement of fingers , it is easier with all parts attached and functioning . Rock on !

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

Posted : 03/08/2007 3:56 pm
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Vic, do yourself a favor.
Stop by a wood carvers' supply shop and pick up a new set of gloves for household chores.

Something like these:

Chain mail should be able to keep your hands free from the sort of damage that you seem to attract. :wink:

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

Posted : 03/08/2007 4:03 pm
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

Well I'm glad its just a small injury, it'll get better soon. Until then just stay away from those really tricky chords that need a pinky to fret.

Posted : 03/08/2007 5:01 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Could have been worse - at least there's nothing broken or needed stitching this time!
Yes, I agree, but be careful! :)

Posted : 03/08/2007 5:05 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I'd write something clever about your injury habits and coordination, but I'm hardly one to talk. :D

Hope it heals quick!

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 03/08/2007 5:36 pm
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Vic, do yourself a favor.
Stop by a wood carvers' supply shop and pick up a new set of gloves for household chores.

Something like these:

Chain mail should be able to keep your hands free from the sort of damage that you seem to attract. :wink:

I think that a suit of chain mail would be even better :lol:

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 03/08/2007 9:38 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

It's very strange how it suddenly doesn't hurt ONE LITTLE BIT since I bought the new Tele this afternoon........

:D :D :D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 03/08/2007 10:43 pm
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Sounds like a good cure to me :D

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 03/08/2007 11:10 pm
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

Strewth mate ,

I saw the post and thought what the old bugger done now !!:)

Well its good nothing serious happened and you can still play , :lol:

Please be more careful

Trev 8)

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

Posted : 04/08/2007 12:24 am
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

It's very strange how it suddenly doesn't hurt ONE LITTLE BIT since I bought the new Tele this afternoon........

Vic

LMAO...good one!!!!

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 04/08/2007 1:14 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Vic

It's a miracle!! :D Conrgats on the new guitar, and please stay away from sharp objects! :wink:

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 04/08/2007 4:57 am
Page 1 / 2