Clear all

Apparently, We Are Experiencing A Heatwave

19 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter

I beg to differ - http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/multimedia/news/latest-news/video/2010/07/20/flooding-on-allerton-road-liverpool-100252-26893208/

(And yes, I did have to use four public transport buses today to get to physio and back). Not pleased. Really not pleased. Why am I not a national of a hot country/state?!? :?

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

Posted : 20/07/2010 10:46 pm
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

As a resident of a hot state, there is, sometimes, trouble in paradise . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9VpwmtnOZc

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 20/07/2010 11:38 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Apparently, this is the driest start to a year since 1929. Coulda fooled me! BUT - the weather forecast says showers for the next three days, then a week of warm sunny weather. At the moment, it's chucking it down outside - the kind of rain that gets you wet twice, once on the way down and again when it bounces a foot high off the pavement. It's Manchester rain - the kind with added water and extra H2O.

Know what this government should do? Take the squillions of pounds that have been earmarked for the Olympics, and instead do they did with the Centre Court at Wimbledon, and build a BIG ROOF! Retractable, of course, so's that on the ever-so-rare occasions when the sun shines, we could actually enjoy it.

"Sitting in an English garden waiting for the sun,
If the sun don't come you get your tan from standing in the English rain..." - John Lennon.

Ever noticed how EVERY British band has at least one song about rain in their repertoire?

Beatles - Rain.
Stones - She's A Rainbow.
Who - Love Reign O'er Me/Water - a double a-side!
Status Quo - Rain
Led Zep - Rain Song
Supertramp - It's Raining Again
Eurythmics - Here Comes The Rain Again

to name but a few, off the top of my head.......

Scrybe, maybe we'll have to wait till Dan and Laura - and maybe Jacqui - come over again till we get some decent weather? Now where'd I put that crib sheet for "I Can See Clearly Now"..........

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 21/07/2010 12:05 am
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

. . . and then there are the man made disasters . . .
but, thankfully there are people that can lift our spirits . . .

http://www.cmt.com/videos/misc/536045/when-the-coast-is-clear.jhtml

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 21/07/2010 12:20 am
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Scrybe will get to enjoy the famous triple-H weather of the Mid-Atlantic next week. And of course, there is a river near by that has been known to flood on occasion.

(hazy, hot, and humid)

Posted : 21/07/2010 1:27 am
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

KR: I just saw some comments on that video....and apparently there are people that say global warming cause that hurricane....pretty funny.

That's a heck of a vid though, brave souls to be filming in that.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 21/07/2010 2:59 am
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Scrybe will get to enjoy the famous triple-H weather of the Mid-Atlantic next week. And of course, there is a river near by that has been known to flood on occasion.

(hazy, hot, and humid)
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: *

*The green hue is the effect of acid rain on my once Spanish-tanned skin. :|

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

Posted : 21/07/2010 9:29 am
(@apache)
Reputable Member

I was driving near Liverpool yesterday, and was worried my car was going to cut out driving through some of the "lakes" formally known as roads...

Posted : 21/07/2010 6:44 pm
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter

We had a break in the rain today, long enough for me to walk to Morrisons for some shopping.

It didn't last long enough for me to walk back from Morrisons with my shopping. :roll:
Full on thunder and lightning this time, too. Yay. I'm no wuss but, about halfway back I reassured myself that the chances of getting struck were very slim - why (I thought) you've got about as much chance of being struck by lightning as you have of winning the lottery!

Then, I remembered that today (unusually for me) I'd bought a lottery ticket. :shock:

As I haven't been struck by lightning today, if I mysteriously vanish for a few months and then post about a ton of gear acquisition, you'll know I won the big one.* :wink:

*this kind of mathematical reasoning brilliance may explain why I dropped Economics after one year.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

Posted : 21/07/2010 7:28 pm
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter

I was driving near Liverpool yesterday, and was worried my car was going to cut out driving through some of the "lakes" formally known as roads...

I also (in a weird continuation of my last post) watched a 'documentary' on lightning recently. You're totally safe in a car if the car gets struck by lightning. Porivded you don't touch anything in the car and don't have a mobile phone on you.

(By documentary, I actually mean a "Let's dare a Welsh Rugby star to sit under a Tesla coil firing 750mill watts straight onto his head, for fun!" programme. Kids: this is only safe if you are a Rugby star (and thus professionally required never to turn down a dare) and happen to have a special chain mail suit with no broken links covering your entire body. In other words - don't try this at home! Though, if you have a Tesla coil at home and you're still alive by now, you've probably figured this one out for yourself. :D

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

Posted : 21/07/2010 7:32 pm
(@apache)
Reputable Member

I also (in a weird continuation of my last post) watched a 'documentary' on lightning recently. You're totally safe in a car if the car gets struck by lightning. Porivded you don't touch anything in the car and don't have a mobile phone on you.
D

Thanks - that's comforting! I'm assuming the seat is ok, its just the metal bits to avoid :mrgreen:

PS - the thunder about an hour ago was load enough to rattle the doors!

Posted : 21/07/2010 8:37 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

A Virginia State Trooper got struck & fried instantly a few years ago. something about all the electrical gadgets, I suppose.

If you have your hand on a dairy cow trying to settle her down during a lightening storm, and it should happen to strike right outside the barn, you will feel it through the cow and get thrown back against the wall.

Someone asked Lee Trevino what he does during lightening storms. He said, in jest, that he holds up a 1 iron, because even God can't hit a one iron.

I saw a car get struck and keep right in going. I was 5 or 6. I also was in a plane that got struck and kept on going.

Weather is so awe inspiring. So powerful. One heat wave is all it takes to soak up enough moisture to let loose one heck of a rain storm causing a flash-flood. I have been in Hurricanes, water Spouts, Ice Storms, Blizzards and Nor'Easters, tiny earth trembles not big enough to be called a quake in my book, and seen from a distance Tornadoes and water spouts. I slept through a Tornado. Woke up to the sound of sirens and such. It hit a little puddle jumper aiport after initially touching down near me.

My scariest one came in Upstate, NY. Driving north along east lake road and I knew ut had been stormy, but out of no-where came this big white wall of rain and wind. I paniced and slammed the brakes and we got twisted around, but no tipping or rolling. I was too close to the action to know what hit me.

Well, Scrybe, I hope the flood waters have receded. 8)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 22/07/2010 11:50 am
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

We, in the great state of Beervaria, are having a bit of a heat wave - t'other day we had 35°C+ - followed by rain, which cleared the air and filled our vacuum cleaner mechanism with water.

Currently, 30°C+ and 120% humidity - very sticky and nasty.

If the weather stays nice, we will be having our local Frühlingsfest (Spring knees-up). They close the main street of town, fill it with tables and benches, load lorries with beer and turn it into a party. There will be several places where there is live music - from punk to trad jazz.

Great night out, if the weather holds.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 22/07/2010 4:10 pm
(@apache)
Reputable Member

Weather is so awe inspiring. So powerful. One heat wave is all it takes to soak up enough moisture to let loose one heck of a rain storm causing a flash-flood. I have been in Hurricanes, water Spouts, Ice Storms, Blizzards and Nor'Easters, tiny earth trembles not big enough to be called a quake in my book, and seen from a distance Tornadoes and water spouts. I slept through a Tornado. Woke up to the sound of sirens and such. It hit a little puddle jumper aiport after initially touching down near me.

Eek! I take it back - maybe the English weather isn't so bad after all!
If the weather stays nice, we will be having our local Frühlingsfest (Spring knees-up). They close the main street of town, fill it with tables and benches, load lorries with beer and turn it into a party. There will be several places where there is live music - from punk to trad jazz.

Sounds fab - enjoy :D

Posted : 22/07/2010 4:51 pm
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter

I saw a car get struck and keep right in going. I was 5 or 6. I also was in a plane that got struck and kept on going.
)
That is the thing I'll remember as I'm flying over the Atlantic next week.....

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

Posted : 22/07/2010 5:19 pm
Page 1 / 2