Notifications
Clear all

Arrghh!! Cancelled Gig

22 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@dmmceldowney)

wes that really stinks!
Sorry about the inconvinience to your band... Good luck finding another gig man!

Mac

Posted : 18/04/2006 5:15 am
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Thanks Mac

This was never meant to be a rant. Clubs cancel you sometimes. I have had clubs call and say they accidentally double-booked. It happens. We are not worried, we have 3 gigs in the next two weeks scheduled. Summer is coming, we will be busy.

We have been talking and want to travel a bit. If you play too much in your own town, people lose interest, even if you are good. So we are looking for new gigs out of town.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 20/04/2006 8:42 pm
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Hey Wes, come on out here and play in Chicago! :shock:

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

Posted : 20/04/2006 9:17 pm
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Dennis

It must be incredible to live in a real music town like Chicago. That would be a great place to live for a musician.

I grew up in Jacksonville, Fla. "Jax" is a real music town. Lynard Skynard, 38 Special, and Limp Bizkit are from Jax. And though the Allman Brothers were from Daytona Beach, they formed in Jacksonville, and played their first concert at the Jacksonville Beach Coliseum. I knew about their first gig and had a chance to attend, but for some dumb reason didn't go. Lynard Skynard used to perform at my High School a few years before they hit it big with Sweet Home Alabama. I saw them several times.

Even Elvis Presley's first gig was at the Florida Theater in Jax.

Man, I would go down and see some REAL Chicago Blues.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 20/04/2006 9:51 pm
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

Don't want to seem picky but it is Lynyrd Skynyrd (no vowels) ;)

Posted : 20/04/2006 10:35 pm
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

biker jim

Thanks, you would think I would know the correct spelling.

Most people have heard the story of this name. Their High School principal's name is Leonard Skinner. I guess they had a lot of trouble with him and got kicked out of school. So this is where the name came from. Today in Jacksonville their is a large Real Estate company called Leonard Skinner, and I believe it might be the same person.

Lynyrd Skynyrd (wow that's hard to spell) used to come to my High School in the mornings and play in our cafeteria. We used to pay 10 cents, got a cup of coffee and two donuts. They called it the Breakfast Club. LS was one ragged looking bunch. They had ripped clothes and beat up looking gear. But they could really play. I thought everybody was great except Ronnie Van Zandt. He would stand over the mic and mumble. I thought if they ever got a new singer they would be great. Shows how much I know. :D

Posted : 20/04/2006 11:24 pm
(@corbind)
Noble Member

After decades I find out just now I've been spelling their name wrong too! (laughing at myself)

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

Posted : 21/04/2006 12:18 am
Page 2 / 2