Clear all

Back in the Saddle (sort of)

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member
Topic starter

As some of you folks might recall from other threads -- I stopped playing when I was 16 due to a pretty bad accident that left me with some major problems with my left arm (the docs said I'd never use the arm again). After a few surgeries, lots of physical therapy, and lots of time, I started playing again. I'll never be the player I had been before -- I've kind of come to accept that. But I still can play well enough to satisfy my own ear, and that's all that matters.

Well, at the suggestion of my mentor, I decided to put on a show. My first time up on stage in 22 years! Ok, it wasn't a stage . .but still I was in front of a crowd!

I play jazz standards doing chord melodies, and so I was looking for someone who would sit and listen to this stuff. So I called up the local retirement home and asked if I could play for an hour or so. They thought it was a great idea and we set up the "gig."

It was a smallish room, but the accoustics where actually pretty good. My gear needs were pretty small. I have a nice AER amp that has a vocal channel as well as an instrument channel, so that amp, two eq's, a mic and stand, and my guitar were all I really needed.

It's a large community home, and I was surpised at the number of people who turned out. Lots of folks had their kids and visiting relatives with them as well.

I chatted with the folks as tehy were coming in and finding seats, it was very informal. Once everyone was in, I sat down and started playing. I opened up with my all-time favorite song Misty. It really should be saved for later in the set but I needed a bit of a boost, and I got a huge reaction to the song. People were really applauding.

So it was on to the next tune. I ran through a prepared set list, Moonlight in Vermont, Georgia On My Mind, Stella By Starlight,,Bye Bye Blackbird, My Funny Valentine and a couple of others.

At the end I spent some time talking to the folks. They were all very complimentary, and most all had stories to tell centered on one of the songs I had choosen.

All in all it was a great day.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

Posted : 19/11/2005 2:55 pm
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

That's cool. SOunds like you had a good time. And so did they.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

Posted : 19/11/2005 3:12 pm
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

kingpatzer

Congratulations on getting back out there. Sounds like you had a great show.

You should hit the coffee shops. They love this type of music. You can even make a little spare change. Many dinner clubs love jazz as well.

So, print some business cards, a photo, and a short demo CD and get out there. 8)

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 20/11/2005 12:05 am
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Wow! How cool is that! Way to go kingpatzer!

I have read your stories about the basketball/glass accident a couple of times and you are here now after all these years sticking it out waiting to get back and I have always thought to myself, “Now THAT is dedication!!!”. I realize that you are teaching as well and applaud you for that too.

It just goes to show that hard work and perseverance pays off!

I am really happy for you kingpatzer! :D

Mike

Posted : 22/11/2005 12:55 am