Clear all

Beatles set new record

22 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Vic, the beatuey of the White Album is the diversity in the songs, if I remember correctly.

(I'm another member wishing he had checked this much earlier, haha)

Congrats to the Beatles.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

Posted : 02/07/2005 6:12 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

The beauty of the White Album is that it's GONE.....it's artistx13's now...

But yeah I'll still agree the Beatles are the greatest recording artists of all time....no competition....just that the WA never worked for me....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 03/07/2005 3:38 pm
(@catcha)
Trusted Member

In The News Today .....

Amazed & Shocked that The Beatles and Elvis loose out to Brian May and Co on one guiness book record...

Twenty years after they stole the show at the original Live Aid concert, and 14 years after the death of Freddie Mercury, Queen have been crowned the most popular UK band of all time

The group, currently on a critically acclaimed comeback tour with former Free singer Paul Rodgers taking on vocal duties, have overtaken the Beatles and Elvis Presley as the artists who have spent the longest time on the British album charts.

Article continues
According to the compilers of the Guinness Book of British Hit Singles and Albums, Queen have spent 1,322 weeks on the chart, compared with the Beatles' 1,293 weeks.

Roger Taylor, the group's drummer, said yesterday he was staggered by the news. Speaking from Lisbon, the latest leg of Queen's European stadium tour, he said: "We were always incredibly ambitious. But we never expected to see a list that read Queen, then the Beatles, then Elvis."

The band's first number one album, A Night at the Opera, came out in 1974. But James Bradley, the assistant editor of the Guinness book, said Queen's achievement had taken a comparatively short time: Elvis Presley first charted in 1956 and the Beatles first made the chart in 1963.

Queen's two greatest hits albums, the first of which spent 450 weeks in the charts and sold more than 4m copies, have accounted for much of their success. Endorsements from newcomers such as the Darkness have contributed to steady album sales, and the West End show We Will Rock You has also kept the band in the public eye. :shock: :shock:

Dont give a shite about punctuation or spelling , I have to do that all day at work.
Free times for rocking !!

Posted : 05/07/2005 1:07 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

That is surprising news about Queen, although when you take into account the fact their recording career was roughly twice as long as that of the Fab Four, that does put it slightly more into perspective...

Still, I would've thought that with all the various compilation albums issued since the Beatles split....especially 62-66 and 67-70, which seemed to be in the charts forever....the Beatles might have shaded it....

And I bet if you added solo album sales to the Beatles' figures, they'd be streets ahead....

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 05/07/2005 3:58 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

BTW, A Night At The Opera was released in December '75, not in 74 as the article states....

Vic

Posted : 05/07/2005 4:11 pm
(@e-sherman)
Reputable Member

Yeah thats really not a fair comparison...

"I think what Musenfreund is trying to say is, "The Beatles" are the best band ever. Hands down, Case closed.

Bob Jessie"

I'd like to ammend that if I may.

"The Beatles" are the best band SO FAR. Hands down, Case closed.

Who knows what is to come in the future.

The king of rock, some say lives
the lizard king, is surely dead
the king of France, lost his head
the King of Kings... bled
( email me at esherman@wideopenwest.(com). I almost never check my hotmailaccount.

Posted : 06/07/2005 2:14 am
 klim
(@klim)
Reputable Member

Two months ago, I bought the Yellow Submarine DVD for the kids. My son watched it almost 15 times in the first week. I just borrowed "A Hard Days Night" from the library and they loved it, as well.

We have the "One" CD and they listen too it all the time. My kids are 4, 8 and 12. So the music still speaks for itself.

I told my kids that I may still have some Beatles Albums in the basement, so they went looking. And Lo and Behold, they found them, even the White Album (although all my Led Zeppelin albums are missing). My daughter was so confused as to why the album was just white and why these records were so large.

For myself, I believe that Beatles is the greatest band in rock history. They had many great songs (from simple to complex), but what made them so unique was the fact that did not tour for the last four albums of their career!

To me the White Album was the beginning of the end for the Beatles, so I have always viewed the songs as individually produced (just like "Let It Be"). I can't tell you how many times that I replayed "Yer Blues" and "Helter Skelter" over and over again.

Even if you don't like the Beatles, you can't deny the impact that they had on the music world and how they have changed the lives of people that listen to their music.

Posted : 12/07/2005 5:25 pm
Page 2 / 2