Best Gig Ever

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

Oh my goshhbhhh

Seriously I'm still taking this night in, I'm so tired but it was so cool.

First we started outside the school with 2 trumpets and a guy singing, its like what we call a "parranda" basically we're just playing outside traditional folk songs ( this was with the drum thing ) that everybody in the whole wide universe ( here ) knows so everyone sings along and its really fun, so we went along moving and playing till we got to the main place, and then we went on stage and played a while and everyone was really pumped up.

Ah, this was a more busy show for me, cause last time it was like the first show, and it was like the time to prove who the teacher could trust you know to do stuff, and he must have been really impressed with me cause when we got to the classroom he was like, Oh, hey could you tune these 8 guitars for my kids, you have 15 minutes. lol I did it, then I had to change the batteries on the little pickup things on the guitars , ah that was fun, it made me feel important and capable, you know like I was actually doing something to help the show.

Then while the school band ( you know like the brass and woodwinds and stuff) played some song while I was shuffling along behind them in the stage ( cause they were on the ground ) with the lights turned off putting rows of chairs for the kids to play.

By the time I got to actually playing guitar I had ran so much I wasn't even nervous I was just happy to be sitting down . lol But just like that the teacher said 1 2 3 4 and I was playing, its like I wasn't even there, like I was into it, I was moving around and doing everything perfectly but I was like inspecting everybody else, you know we are a group we have to sound good together, my teacher told me this would come :shock:, when I could play and just look at everybody else and be relax.

What we are playing is easy stuff you know it was just [Am, G7} {C} {Dm7, F}{ E7} Two beats of Am two beats of G and four of C and the same with Dminor F and E7, the hard part is that its relatively upbeat and its fingerpicked, and what the guitar mainly does in this thing is play the bass and and you know fingerpick ( like pulling the fingers back doing a chord ) and so some of the guys had problems with G7 and F and E7, and the whole upbeatness of it all, but everyone got through in the end :D.

So suddenly it was time for my solo, and it was like :O, we had practiced well not a million times, maybe like 5 times, 3 times without amplification and twice just checking the sound out. And all the times I had a little solo part, and everyone said it was good, and I thought it was good, but I don't know I needed something more. And I spent last night just trying to come up with a cool lick or something that might impress everybody.

Maaaaan but when I knew it was time like being in front of people and people singing along and clapping and dancing and all the energy its like holy cow and I just did it man, and like I followed my instructors advice on improvisation he said" do something to draw their attention, play smart, like listening to the progression and using it, and then do something dynamic, and all together" and I added to that like make it flow.

And I was just chilling it was like sitting in my bed playing but in front of 400+ people xD. Man everyone loved it, people came up to me and were like man, nice solo, nice playing. So I asked a friend of mine which I had asked to really listening to it and like analyze it ( to the best of his ability ).

And what he said was like music to my ears, I would've been disapointed if he had talked about the cool licks and the fast stuff ( which wasn't really that fast, I think). He said: Man, damn congratulations, that was a really solid solo man it sounded like you knew what was going on behind you and you knew where you were going, like as if I had written the solo. I only knew what I was basically gonna start with and then you know improvised :D and it was great, I wanna see if anyone has a video to actually listen to it, oh well.

Haha enough about my solo, after that we played I wanna wish you a Merry Christmas, the teacher told me to go easy with the extended chords xD and I did, its a relatively easy song, and our arragement was fun to play, Idk if its the regular one xD but its basically the whole thing then we stop like for 2 beats or something, and continue and those 2 beats were so fun cause I got to goof off, like wave to people and then fall back in with the rest of the guys, I know not the most profesional thing to do xD, but still fun.

After that me and my friends got to just hang around and chill while the rest of the shows played. Then it was another bigger "parranda" which was like freaking crazy cause we just started walking out of there and everyone was with us ( like the 400+ people ) and then we stopped at a comfortable spot and just kept on playing, my teacher, lets call him Pinder ( hism last name ) is really crazy ( but fun ) and I think he changes the signals every time, but he gets the message across most of the time xD. I get really into it xD like dancing with my big drum thing and singing along and doing fun stuff with the crowd, everyone gets into.

So then we stop and everyone wants more so we keep playing, we were there for like 20 minutes just playing and then its over, and everyone starts screaming and its like crazy cause we were right in the midst of the crowd so it was like a real big noise of people and stuff.

After that I was beat, and the core group of us ( those who had done the most work ) got to our room, its only like 3 of us who took care of alot of stuff, and the teacher came and we joked around, then I went to my friends house and my mom picked me up and I got back here, and started writing this which took quitee a while.

Wow this was a long post, I hope I can find some pictures and perhaps a video, yeah but whatever, this night rocked.

I wanna be that guy that you wish you were ! ( i wish I were that guy)

You gotta set your sights high to get high!

Everyone is a teacher when you are looking to learn.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

Posted : 12/12/2009 5:04 am
(@shadyharrison)
Reputable Member

Sounds like a damn good night, mate. I know what you mean about the buzz you get from playing live. (I've never played something like that, but now I'm seriously thinking about adding it to my bucket list. Would be great to be involved... :))

By the way, is there any chance you could put up a chord/lyric sheet for the track you played? It sounds like it'd be a good excuse to begin practising the technique you describe.

Take care,

Casey

Posted : 12/12/2009 8:49 am
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

Btw sorry for the wall of text, it was 2 am I was just writing everything that came to mind xD.

Well not really a lyric sheet because well the lyrics we were doing last night were in spanish. And I explained it wrong sorry, now that I think of it It's actually 1 beat on Am and G, you hit the bass note on the 1 and pull back the chord on the "and" so it can get pretty hectic if you are playing it relatively upbeat. So its 1 beat Am, one beat G, then two beats C, on the C you do the same thing and you can either let it ring to the other beat or hit it again, but I do a little thing with the fingers which goes:

Index Finger, then third finger then second finger, ( 3rd string, 1st string and 2nd string ) on C but you can do whatever you want :D.

Then its 1 beat of Dm one of F and then two of E7 ( you can do E, but E7 sounds so much more latin, and since its the V of the progression if you do it V7 it creates so much more tension and resolves nicely to Am) , and if you can do it with the pinky hitting D on the B string ( 3rd fret ) it sounds so much better.

Well you can do it in alot of keys but yeah Am is easiest and it sounds nice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0hUDKhVsiE

Thats an Aguinaldo, I didn't listen to that video completely but its the same one, we had some cuatros playing but they weren't that good, so the teacher and I switched off on doing that ( the thing he does at the beginning) which is the basic melody for it and then improvising :D.

If you are going to improvise over it you can use Harmonic minor or Melodic minor ( A minor ), playing G# creates some nice tension and it all works because of the E7 ( which has G# ), but yeah :D. Sorry for another long post, I'm in a talky mood xD.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

Posted : 12/12/2009 3:50 pm
(@shadyharrison)
Reputable Member

Thanks, mate. I really wouldn't mind if the lyric sheet was in Spanish. (I'm learning at the moment, and trying to soak up as much as I can, from as many different sources as possible.)

Take care,

Casey

Posted : 12/12/2009 4:41 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Sounds like you had a great time, congrats! 8)

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 12/12/2009 7:26 pm
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

Thanks, mate. I really wouldn't mind if the lyric sheet was in Spanish. (I'm learning at the moment, and trying to soak up as much as I can, from as many different sources as possible.)

Oh ok :), in that case I'll find one, oh and btw, the G was G7 sorries.

can't find one right now, but I could make one, the lyrics vary from town to town but its always the same harmony, I'll find one .

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

Posted : 13/12/2009 1:29 am