Borders Gig

48 Posts
18 Users
0 Likes
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter

My band and I are performing at Borders Bookstore in Norman, Oklahoma from 8 - 10 pm on November 24th (Next Friday). It will be our first performance together and my first in almost 15 years. Everyones is invited, assuming most of you dont mind the drive/flight. LOL

Here is the link to the information.

I'll post a gig report when its over and I should have video, assuming the folks at Borders do not mind.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 17/11/2006 4:33 pm
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Kewl Beans!
wish i could be there.
good luck!

#4491....

Posted : 17/11/2006 4:47 pm
(@sticky)
Trusted Member

Cool, good luck!

How do you know if a drummer is knocking on your door.....

The knocking speeds up.

Posted : 17/11/2006 5:51 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Good luck Jim! 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 17/11/2006 8:36 pm
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

If you weren't 1500 miles away I would attend, I swear. :D

Have fun Jim and Rock the House!

We expect a detailed report after the gig.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 18/11/2006 4:25 pm
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

Knock'em dead! :)

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

Posted : 20/11/2006 3:51 pm
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Here is the scoop folks

This past Friday was the Borders Bookstore gig that I have been working on so hard. The guys were really nervous and asked that we have a quick practice before the gig. So, we met at our rehersal spot at 4pm to go over the songs. The gig was supposed to start at 8pm but we were told to be there at 7pm to set up.

Practice was difficult and to tell you the truth I personally would have preferred that we not have one. But out voted I showed up in good spirits. Out of the six songs we were preforming, most of them were very easy for us but in practice it was Mustang Sally that was giving us the most trouble. I just could not get the rythem and lyrics down at the same time. It was putting alot of fear in my because in the past I was able to get this particular song down pat.

After practice we all met at a restaraunt to have dinner together. We took our wives with us and it was a great opportunity to just sit around and relax. Plus, it put us all about a mile from the gig and we knew that the guitarist would show up on time. LOL

6:45 we show up and begin setting up everything. It is almost surreal because you always are supposed to be quiet in a bookstore but I knew in just an hour I was going to be expected to sing. It is hard to explain but it felt out of the ordinary. We finish setting up at 7:45 and now it is too late for a warm up song. We were told weeks earlier that we should be able to get a warm up song in so that we would know what our sound levels were at.

So, I get to start the show and I thank everyone for showing up to see us. I also intoduce my band except that I forgot my drummers name. LOL. I had just learned his last name a few days earier and I was so focused on that, that I couldnt remember his first name. I made a quick joke about it and continued on. We began with an original I wrote for Sunday Songwriters Group called Better Days. OH, ya I also forgot the name of the song.. But I recovered and continued on...again.

Next we did Lonesome Confessions, which is another SSG song that I wrote. The last song of the set was Unfailing Love which is a song by my favorite songwriter named Chris Tomlin. The set went over awesome.

There was about a two hour wait before our second set. It wasnt meant to happen that way but our set ended up too short and we didnt have any material to fill in with.

So the last set started with a song I wrote called Everythings Alright. It went perfect. I think that was the best we have EVER done that song. Next was another SSG song called Another Day. When I started the song it was ok. The drummer was going a little fast but then I started playing the chord progression in the wrong order and it screwed me up badly. So, I stopped the set and made a joke about it. We started up again and did it pretty good. The only mistake was the drummer tried ending the song, twice, too early. Lastly, we did Mustang Sally.

Mustang Sally went SO GOOD. There were people dancing the back of the bookstore to this one. Before the set started the bookstore manager asked us to turn down but I was so into playing that I didnt worry about it much and I just played the heck out of it.

The gig went terrific. We had so much fun and I think it helped alot that I didnt take it so seriously. Went we made mistakes I just joked and let the audience laugh at me a bit. Its like they totally understood.

The best thing is that so many people came up with positive reviews. Even the other musicians were praising us. We got a lead on another gig. It is a television show that promotes local acts. We are going to persue that tomorrow. Also, I personally got a couple acoustic deals out of it. A buddy wants me to perform at his big Christmas party this year. Also, I will be performing one song for my church in a play that I wrote and directed. Things are moving so fast right now.. and I love it.

I video taped all this and I will be posting it for anyone that wants to see the performance.

Thanks for all the GN support guys. !!!!

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 26/11/2006 11:37 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Great review Jim!

I'm glad the show went over well. Nice that you could laugh at & over look your mistakes. Hey, we all make 'em, might as well not let it get to you. :wink:

Can't wait to see the video. 8)

Good luck on your upcoming gigs.

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 27/11/2006 1:00 am
(@davidhodge)

Congrats, Geoo!

Sounds like it was a terrific gig and we're eagerly waiting on word of all the upcoming ones. Keep me posted and I'll see they get in the Guitar Noise Newsletter.

Peace

Posted : 27/11/2006 1:21 am
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Good job Jim! And a great report. Must have been a blast playing your own stuff. :D

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

Posted : 27/11/2006 1:36 am
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member

Hey Jim,

well done mate Im glad you were able to get those SSG songs out into the wider world. Im looking forward to the video.

cheers

Paul

Check out my Reverbnation page here

Posted : 27/11/2006 1:40 am
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

Jim, that is awesome man! Sounds like you had a great time and rocked! Looking forward to the video.

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

Posted : 27/11/2006 2:05 pm
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Good Job Jim, hope i can drive down and catch you guys sometime.

#4491....

Posted : 27/11/2006 2:58 pm
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

Congrats Jim! Sounds like a great performance
- yes, the video!

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

Posted : 27/11/2006 9:07 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Sounds like a very fun night...good luck with everything!

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 28/11/2006 12:27 am
Page 1 / 4